1 gram wheels

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

1 gram wheels

Post by ohiofitter »

Looking around alot of pinewood derby sites I've notice all sell 1 gram wheels. Now I not looking to advertise one's site But in everone's opinion does one site or maker seem to be better then another. :scratching: I'm under the conclusion that if the lathe or cnc machine how ever the wheels are made has as little tool vibration as possibe they will produce the better wheel. :thinking: Now I know this forum is geared towards helping scouts learn and not the league guys but if your rules allow the 1 gramers is there a top produced wheel. Again not looking to advertise a particular site :shhh: . and does the new wheels have the same faults as the old ones such as out of round hubs,off center hehs etc...... :nervous:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 1 gram wheels

Post by FatSebastian »

ohiofitter wrote:if your rules allow the 1 gramers
There seems to be two flavors of "one-gram" wheels. There are lathed Official BSA wheels, and there are commercial razor wheels often made of other materials such as Delrin. Because most local rules are adaptations of the rule in the box, which prohibit wheels that are not "official Cub Scout Grand Prix Pinewood Derby wheels," is your interest primarily in the lathed Official BSA wheels?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That question is probably better asked on one of the league forums.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

If you're talking the cnc/lathed BSA wheels, the only part of the wheel that may it may not be cut is the bore. All the other points of concern are cut by the various vendors. Derby Worx does ream the bores on their 1 gram BSA wheel, to .098 I believe.

Who's are the best? I can't say anymore. I quit running that type wheel awhile ago. I ran the Derby Worx, but there weren't many other options back then.
[no advertising for this vendor] carries the DW wheels as does many other vendors.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

psycaz wrote: I ran the Derby Worx, but there weren't many other options back then
I purchased mine frrom max-v a long time ago for our adult races...no rules other the the 5 ozs and 7 inches, But i see everyone making the own but they are mostly the razor thin as well. I think all site do carry the DW brand which I have no complaints about ,It just been a few years since I had done anything with a car and just seeing if there was another brand out there that maybe people have tested againts DW wheels
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

ohiofitter wrote:just seeing if there was another brand out there that maybe people have tested
A couple of years ago, Sporty was able to measure the runout of some commercially lathed wheels and was disappointed in their quality. He did not disclose the brand tested, but strongly advocated that all lathed wheels be gauged by the buyer (regardless of brand) to ensure quality, as there can be significant variations - even within a single set.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

Its does sound like makeing your own (if haveing the right Equipment) you would be better able to control the quaility a little better than just a mass produced product. But as long as there is a product like DW wheels out there (IMO are not bad wheels) people would get a better product them someone who doesnt know the right way to make the wheels.