leaving off the 4th wheel

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

leaving off the 4th wheel

Post by Noskills »

Hello all,

I was wondering if folks have any thoughts on leaving off what would be the raised from wheel. Our pack rules only require that we use materials from the kit not "all" the material from the kit. Now I know league racers do this and will use some sort of fin, I dont supposed I would do this but just leave the area alone. This would be for my scout car at a pack race (in the future). Thoughts? I am more concerned what others will think as the concept is not covered in the rules and it is not disallowed. Also as the cubmaster and pack pine-head I am the chief car inspector (so I think it will pass ;) )

Thanks,

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: leaving off the 4th wheel

Post by Topspin.D »

If you're rules don't specifically state that you have to have the wheel then I would feel free to leave it off.

Also, some rules say that you must have 4 wheels, but don't say anything about where the wheels need to be. If that's the case I would move one wheel to the top rear of the car (embedded in the body) and put a fin on the front in place of it (to help with COM).
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Noskills wrote:I know league racers do this and will use some sort of fin, I dont supposed I would do this but just leave the area alone.
I believe you will want to use a peg to ensure that the car never leaves the guide.
Noskills wrote:I am more concerned what others will think as the concept is not covered in the rules and it is not disallowed.
Our rules are similar. We tried a peg once and we had a parent protest, likely because it was obvious that we didn't use "all" the materials from the kit. (Outcome here.)
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

Noskills wrote:Now I know league racers do this and will use some sort of fin, I dont supposed I would do this but just leave the area alone.
Having something there is useful depending on the stop section of the track. I left the non-DFW area empty on one car I built. I found that when it hit the stop section of a BestTrack, in which the car slides on its belly with the track dropping out leaving the wheels free, that the car was prone to slide off. Something, anything in the place of the wheel will help to keep it safe when stopping. I use a sewing pin (one that comes with men's dress shirts) and push it into the wood then bend it with pliers to act as a fin. The weight of the pin is negligible.