Classic car woe

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Classic car woe

Post by Noskills »

I started a classic car for a friend if mine. Citroen ds. Got the block all glued together (which was harder than it looked) traced the car outline and then realized the car was too thick to fit on my bandsaw. Will need to cut it out with a coping saw and file. My predcition; pain.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Classic car woe

Post by Vitamin K »

Noskills wrote:I started a classic car for a friend if mine. Citroen ds. Got the block all glued together (which was harder than it looked) traced the car outline and then realized the car was too thick to fit on my bandsaw. Will need to cut it out with a coping saw and file. My predcition; pain.
Noskills
Paging Whodathunkit!

I recommend making sure you have a fresh blade in your coping saw. I actually need to run out and pick up a new one, because the "Penny Wagon" is going to need some shaping on the upper rear to keep the canted rears from rubbing.

Make sure you take pictures!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote: Paging Whodathunkit!
I'm with Vitamin K on this..
A new sharp blade would be best.. and make shure your cutting with it on the down stoke as well.
Plus you might want to make a cutting table for this.. if not a vise works good also.

You can do it Seth! :thumbup: ;)
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Get a bigger bandsaw.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:agree:
With Andy & Noah, I'd hate to cut out car designs all day long with a coping saw...
It's not fun and it takes work to useing a coping saw.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I blame the whole thing on Andy for making it look easy. :D

I will tough it out with the coping saw. Might get a new blade tough. Thanks guys.

Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

I don't try to make it look easy, it is the only way we have built cars. We don't know any other ways.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Andy et al,
I need some advice. My car has fender skirts. In narrowing the back end of the car my fenders are now too narrow such that with a skirt in place it will trap the wheel. I think my best option is to narrow the block by 1/16 in per side to give it some room. This car is not a rail rider so it should be OK. I think I will also buy some wheels that might be trimmed a bit so it's width is less than a typical BSA wheel.
Problem 2. The skirt, if I follow the lower edge of the body line will cover my axel hole. I think my only option here is to turn my axel holes into a slot and put the wheels in from below. I am OK giving up speed for looks. Any other options?
This project has been quite the challenge.
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

When we draw the plan originally, we draw in the wheels, so we can check the clearance to the fenders and the proposed fender skirts. Here is a picture of the plan for the Nomad I built last year:

The car also has canted rear wheels so there is more clearance than shown in the plan drawing. Here is a picture from the build:

Here is a picture of the clearance when the car was complete

I realize these are not the full fender skirts you are talking about. On our first car with fender skirts, back in 2007, we made full fender skirts that were 2-piece. When I was planning this I built a mockup of the 2 piece fender skirt to see if this could work:

I had to remove some wood to get the first piece fitted and attached:

Then I formed the second piece, it clips under the first piece and is held to the car with double stick tape. When the car was painted a piece of chrome tape covers the transition between the pieces:

At this point I still had clearance issues, so I removed the lettering on the outside of the wheel. At the time this was allowed within our rules. I’m guessing recessing the wheel further into the block would have worked better, or you could shorten the wheel hub some:

After everything worked then it was time to fill and paint:

In this picture you can hardly see that the fender skirts are 2 piece:

In the plan I did for a Citroen, there was room under the skirt to get the axle in, can you shorten the skirt (make that fender skirt)?

Last edited by ah8tk on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Wow Andy,
Thank you. Not being a auto cad person, I took a photo of the Citron and expanded it so that it was 7 inches and worked from it there. In my plans I had room for the axle but now my axle head wont fit under it. I like the idea of the 2 part skit but that may not work for me. The idea to remove wood to insert the fender skirt (and make it flush with the body) was the original plan as well. Yet when I found an aerial view photo of the car I noted it tapered towards the rear. Not even thinking of the fenders I tapered the rear of the car and now have the "too tight under the skirt" issue. So I expect that I will need to put my fender skirt on top of the body (not as an inset) and putty around it. This will make the 2 part fender very tough (not to mention that I have a chip in rear bumper that I planned to cover up while putting the fender skirts on.

Let me get some photos, that will help explain. I think making a slot may be my only choice. BTW your mock up is the exact one I choose. I have been having more of a free flow with this project. Shaping here, sanding there, rounding corners, etc. I draw pretty well so I have been shading the car with a pencil then going to the dremel. An excellent template cut out on a scroll saw would have made this much easier. I used a cross cut and coping saw and dremel.

Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Here is where I am.

View from the side

View with what my fender skirt will look like. The skirt will just catch the nail head.

Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

You could raise the rear of the rocker panel and the rear bumper and this would get the skirt up higher (1st picture with red line). Or you could notch for the axle head and finish with a piece of chrome tape applied along the rocker panel and up the skirt to the rear bumper (second picture with the green lines). Either one of these plans could work.

Last edited by ah8tk on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

You the man. :idea: I might combine both ideas and remove the BSA lettering. Onward!! :bigups:

Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite