Dremel And Lowe's Team-Up For Derby Days

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dremel And Lowe's Team-Up For Derby Days

Post by gpraceman »

Beginning in Jan. 2015, Dremel will offer a series of in-store clinics at Lowe's to help families design and build a race-worthy Pinewood Derby Car. On select Saturdays in January and February, customers can visit the annual Dremel and Lowe's Derby Days clinics where they will learn tips and techniques to help them build the ultimate racecar.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 16573.html

I hope that it is better organized than in years past.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Dremel And Lowe's Team-Up For Derby Days

Post by Vitamin K »

gpraceman wrote:
Beginning in Jan. 2015, Dremel will offer a series of in-store clinics at Lowe's to help families design and build a race-worthy Pinewood Derby Car. On select Saturdays in January and February, customers can visit the annual Dremel and Lowe's Derby Days clinics where they will learn tips and techniques to help them build the ultimate racecar.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 16573.html

I hope that it is better organized than in years past.
Woulda been nice if they'd done this earlier...our race is the 24th of this month! ;)
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Yes, we went to one at our local Lowe's and it was really badly managed.

The store personnel had no idea what we were talking about, when we showed up. Finally, after about 10 minutes of people looking around, somebody took us into a back room where we (and one other family) listened to the most generic of presentations on how to build a car.

Seriously, the information provided was okay from the standpoint of how to use a dremel to do some shaping, but when it came to the fundamentals of building a fast car....they obviously were just scratching the surface of the content. For example they said "you'll want to put weight in the car to make it go faster" and pretty much left it at that.

I'll pass. First-timers may get something out of it, but it's not for anyone who's getting their information by coming to DerbyTalk.

Regards,

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Dremels own page doesn't show how to use their tool to polish the axles. You dont chuck a round polishing disk and try to polish a round axle held with a pliers. You chuck the axle in the dremel!
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

ngyoung wrote:Dremels own page doesn't show how to use their tool to polish the axles. You dont chuck a round polishing disk and try to polish a round axle held with a pliers. You chuck the axle in the dremel!
I have heard (never done it) that a Deremel tool runs at too high an RPM to do effective axle and wheel work. Definitely agree that you shouldn't try to polish wheels/bores with a Dremel, but axle polishing? Seems like it'd be okay. I dunno.

We use my bench-mount drill press for axle work and hand drill for wheel/bore polishing.

Scrollsawer
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Scrollsawer wrote:
ngyoung wrote:Dremels own page doesn't show how to use their tool to polish the axles. You dont chuck a round polishing disk and try to polish a round axle held with a pliers. You chuck the axle in the dremel!
I have heard (never done it) that a Deremel tool runs at too high an RPM to do effective axle and wheel work. Definitely agree that you shouldn't try to polish wheels/bores with a Dremel, but axle polishing? Seems like it'd be okay. I dunno.

We use my bench-mount drill press for axle work and hand drill for wheel/bore polishing.

Scrollsawer
I've always heard that the high RPM is a plus for doing axle polishing.

Regardless, my Dremel's default chuck is too loose for a BSA axle. :(

I plan to use my hand drill (in a vise) for polishing this year.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Yes I was mainly referring to acxle polishing. Dremel works great for it. The amount of time you apply each grit of sandpaper changes slightly depending on the rpms of the tool you're using. I use my drill press too which is far slower then a dremel so I usually count off like 15-20sec vs 10sec for really high speeds.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

We use a dremel for axle polishing and have good results.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

THE DREMEL

Over the years, We have used the dremel, first with the wheel mandrel. In the early stages of car building.

While its very hard to get less run out. It was a great way to get the kids involved in the build process. Even if you didn't up using those same wheels.

It gets to teach them how to used a tool and be involved and start understanding didn't pressure and motion of a tool. And understanding sanding paper and different grits.

I feel it provides a basic learning lesson. Where most kids have not learned or have no early understanding yet of powered tools.

The same with the drell press. most kids prior to cub scouts, pinewood derby. Have not used a drill press and event the the work or finishing product may not be the greatest.

It provides a great family or father and son time together learning and trying.

I bought the different collets that fit into the dremel. So I am able to put the mandrell or a scout axle into the dremel.

I always recommend the dremel that has the variable speed settings options.

Even if the results are not very good and you may not end up using the item. It still A great way to involve the child and start learning...

As for the comments on The Dremel and Lowes.

I think its a nice gesture for any company to try and do something for people, who may have nothing at all. And sure its a marketing ploy to sell the products. But those employees at the stores, who sure likely know nothing about pinewood derby or at a high level of knowledge many of us on here have.

It is better then no help or offer at all to people who know nothing at all or have no tools.

I would encourage people to send letters and emails to there local lowes stores and to dremel. In providing information and guide sheets. So they can help pass the info on, to help future events like this.

You have to get involved and put a lot of time into it. In order to help make it better.

Sporty
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

sporty wrote:THE DREMEL

Over the years, We have used the dremel, first with the wheel mandrel. In the early stages of car building.

While its very hard to get less run out. It was a great way to get the kids involved in the build process. Even if you didn't up using those same wheels.

It gets to teach them how to used a tool and be involved and start understanding didn't pressure and motion of a tool. And understanding sanding paper and different grits.

I feel it provides a basic learning lesson. Where most kids have not learned or have no early understanding yet of powered tools.

The same with the drell press. most kids prior to cub scouts, pinewood derby. Have not used a drill press and event the the work or finishing product may not be the greatest.

It provides a great family or father and son time together learning and trying.

I bought the different collets that fit into the dremel. So I am able to put the mandrell or a scout axle into the dremel.

I always recommend the dremel that has the variable speed settings options.

Even if the results are not very good and you may not end up using the item. It still A great way to involve the child and start learning...

As for the comments on The Dremel and Lowes.

I think its a nice gesture for any company to try and do something for people, who may have nothing at all. And sure its a marketing ploy to sell the products. But those employees at the stores, who sure likely know nothing about pinewood derby or at a high level of knowledge many of us on here have.

It is better then no help or offer at all to people who know nothing at all or have no tools.

I would encourage people to send letters and emails to there local lowes stores and to dremel. In providing information and guide sheets. So they can help pass the info on, to help future events like this.

You have to get involved and put a lot of time into it. In order to help make it better.

Sporty
I think that's a really good idea (helping your local Lowes folks out to make it better). There's a lot of folks on DT that have a Lowes nearby. Imagine if each of us took 90 minutes out of our weekend to help present at these Lowes events. Perhaps even have some hand-outs handy. I think that'd make it a win-win for everyone involved. :bigups:

Scrollsawer
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thanks.

I just have been trying to point out and get others to have a wider perspective on things and a bit less criticism on here.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

My Dremel 3000 has variable speed. I use it for the axels and wheel bores. Real slow to polish the bores and fast to polish the axels. Kurt I wrap the bottom of the axel in painter tape and just chuck it. Easy peasy. I also now cut a 1/2 strip of chammy and chuck it ann used that to polish the hubs and outer rim of the DFW.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite