Track testing with no track?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Track testing with no track?

Post by Vitamin K »

So, I don't own a track, and I don't know anybody locally that does. However, I'm curious as to how well our builds actually run, and for that, I'd like to get times on a 42' BestTrack, since that seems to be the "gold standard" these days.

I'm considering sending cars to NPWDRL or Mid-America. I'm definitely not a league racer (yet), and I have my objections with the Mid-America rules, but either option would be a way to see how our cars would perform on a "professional" track.

Either way, it boils down to about 10 bucks a car, plus shipping. I guess this is a reasonable price to pay, but I'm wondering if there are any cheaper routes one might go.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Track testing with no track?

Post by sporty »

Find a league racer who owns the same track or a someone who has the same set up. Become friends with them. Maybe they would be willing to run you cars for you and give you the data for free. Just shipping.

How ever. $10 for a car. For test runs or a race. To get info. Is not a bad price.
$5 would be better. but for someone time. Who u dont have a friend ship or bond with. Is a fair price for there effort and time.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Track testing with no track?

Post by birddog »

While I own a 42' best track, I find that my times vary each time I setup the track. I can never get it setup the same way twice. This year, our cars ran 3.02 on our test track, but 2.97 on the pack track. Both tracs were 42' best tracks. I think if I used a tool to measure the angle of decent and tried to keep that consistent, things would be less variable. Since I don't own one, I don't do it, so incline slope degrees tend to vary with each setup.

The only way to really know how your cars compare to others is to race on the same track with them.

birddog