Rough track conditions...

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Gravity101
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rough track conditions...

Post by Gravity101 »

So apparently our pack's PWD track is in rough condition. (Aluminum track, non-smooth transitions) I've heard conflicting information on multiple websites regarding rail-riders vs. straight run cars. I would value the experienced competitors opinions about how to address this problem and still have a good run.
Thanks!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Rough track conditions...

Post by Speedster »

The quick answer is build a rail rider, Negative camber on the back wheels and Positive camber with Toe-in on the Dominant Front Wheel with the other front wheel raised so it's not involved. Set it up so it will drift 2" in 4' on a level test board. If you have access to a track with a timer you have an additional advantage.
I think others, and myself, would like to know your rules and experience. I'm very familiar with both the Best track and the Freedom track and they are both designed to be very smooth. Does someone else make an aluminum track? Do you know the manufacturer of your track. Can you work with your Pack to fix your track? Aluminum is very soft.

A racer might get his car to roll straight on a perfectly flat service but when you get on any track the track will determine what the car will do. That's when the trouble starts. Tell us the design of the car your team is going to build. A simple wedge?
When is your race?
Best
Speedster
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I second Bill's suggestion to attempt to work with your Pack to get the track corrected. The first time we put our Freedom Track together, it had such a big catch in the joins that the first car I sent down the track went flying. After a little adjustment, it was smooth as butter.

I would also say to build a rail rider. The only thing I'd recommend would be not to get /too/ aggressive with the CoM. Make sure the front wheel has enough weight to keep the nose of the car down in the event of a skip. Maybe keep the balance point .75" or more in front of the rear axle?
Gravity101
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gravity101 »

Sorry for that late response. We were able to secure a better track for the PWD. It ended up being a "Best Track" I believe. We took first place with times of 3.104 to 3.074. Not bad for our second year. Now off to Regionals.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Gravity101 wrote:So apparently our pack's PWD track is in rough condition. (Aluminum track, non-smooth transitions) I've heard conflicting information on multiple websites regarding rail-riders vs. straight run cars. I would value the experienced competitors opinions about how to address this problem and still have a good run.
Thanks!
If the track has a center rail, always build a rail rider.