Mid America Big Rig track

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Mid America Big Rig track

Post by Speedster »

Does anyone know?
Is the start gate for the Big Rig track in its normal position for a Best track with the start end extended to accommodate the longer truck or is the start gate moved down the track and the start end is still at its normal height of about 4 feet ?

What is the maximum weight a stock BSA Pinewood Derby wheel can carry before the weight starts working against you ?

Thank you so much for your assistance.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mid America Big Rig track

Post by gpraceman »

Speedster wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:55 pm Is the start gate for the Big Rig track in its normal position for a Best track with the start end extended to accommodate the longer truck or is the start gate moved down the track and the start end is still at its normal height of about 4 feet ?
It is an extension that is mounted to the back end of the track. Start gate remains in its normal position.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank You.
That means a lot of weight can be placed 19 inches behind the pin. The total weight of the truck is limited to 25 ounces. A truck can be built very light. It looks like a lot of testing is in my future.
Always open for suggestions.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster,

Per The Best track web site..
The Best Track Big Rig Extension is 12" long .
The normal Best Track ( setup for the cars ) from the back end of the track to the start pen is 8".
So with the big rig extension on the track you would be 20" from the back end of the track to the start gate.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you, Mr Whoda,
My ignorance is showing. I should have checked with Best track, I'll get one ordered. That additional height should make considerable difference in speed.
Zebracar
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Zebracar »

Not sure how it translates to a pinewood derby car, but be mindful of the physics behind an over weighted trailer pushing your truck. Also the weight distribution on the trailer. If the trailer is tail heavy it will likely weave much like a trailer in a full scale truck. Like you've mentioned previously, there's sure to be lots of testing in the futur.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The Class "B" truck is a straight truck much like a Garbage truck, Dump truck, Flat Bed truck, etc. There is no trailer. It's nothing more then a 19" Pinewood Derby car. Rules require only 8 wheels need to be on the truck and they don't all need to be on the ground. It will be a very simple thing to build a 3 wheel rail rider. Forget about the word "Truck" for a moment. You have a 7" car with a 5 ounce limit. I have a 19" car with a 25 ounce limit.
Think of where that 12" extension is going to put my COM. The rules for the Class "B" truck are very lenient. Balsa wood is very light. Remember when Doc Jobe explained the "Center of Mass Effect"? It is illustrated on Page 40 of Doc Jobe's Big Green Book, The Physics of the Pinewood Derby. It is explained using two Perfect cars. We are racing our COM's. Probably when you start slowing down I'm still increasing speed. The track is giving me 36'10" for science to help me. What would happen in a race against your car if my truck was limited to 5 ounces? Science would give me the advantage. Following the rules, I will be able to use an amount of weight and place it anywhere on the truck. The timer will tell me what weight position and amount of weight is the Best for speed.

One more thing. The rules do not require you use a Diesel engine or be Road legal. I have ordered a "Blown" Big Block Top Fuel Dragster engine. Money is no object here.
I have no belief I will win this race. The one who will win is the one who follows science the Best and walks into the race the morning of the race and is using oil for lube. I am interested how graphite will do against the oil vehicles.

I hope lots of folks build a Class "B" Big Rig and comes to the race. Maybe we can help the Class "B" truck group grow in number.
Last edited by Speedster on Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
xanthrum
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by xanthrum »

I can not wait to see what you have come up with and we roll em down the track in about 1 month - make sure you get registered www.midamericaderby.com
Greg Dawes
Mid-America Pinewood Derby
http://www.midamericaderby.com
midamericaderby@yahoo.com
(402) 659-1714
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm registered Greg. I'm under the name William Klingler. Best Wishes to you and your team for a successful Mid America race. I wouldn't miss this for the World.
Cheers,
William Klingler