Are we due for new wheels?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
ironband
Journeyman
Journeyman

Are we due for new wheels?

Post by ironband »

I've noticed some of the vendors indicating that the BSA wheel quality has gotten pretty bad suddenly.

I looked at the calendar and realized it is 2019, ten years since the "new" wheels came out in 2009.

Before that, we got a wheel update in 1999.

Before that, looks like 1988 or so.

So 10-11 years seems to be the life expectancy of a wheel mold...

Do you think we're due for a new wheel soon? Anyone have the inside track with Kahoot?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Are we due for new wheels?

Post by Vitamin K »

If they're getting ready to update the molds, I would love for the wheels to come with some kind of witness marks inside of the wheel to help dissuade people from doing internal weight removal.
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:22 am If they're getting ready to update the molds, I would love for the wheels to come with some kind of witness marks inside of the wheel to help dissuade people from doing internal weight removal.
As long as it's some sort of marking that can't be duplicated with machining, I think that would be a great idea.

Or they could just make the wheels fast to start with. Factory BSA razors anyone?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

bracketracer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:12 am
Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:22 am If they're getting ready to update the molds, I would love for the wheels to come with some kind of witness marks inside of the wheel to help dissuade people from doing internal weight removal.
As long as it's some sort of marking that can't be duplicated with machining, I think that would be a great idea.

Or they could just make the wheels fast to start with. Factory BSA razors anyone?
I suspect that those might suffer from durability issues? Maybe I'm wrong.
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

Don't think "Unlimited acrylic razors", think "BSA wheel but without the wide tread". Mold some fluting on the inside face so you could tell if it's been thinned, leave the current markings on the outside face, maybe have the very outside edge as a raised band to keep the wheel off the tread bumps but leave the tread bumps as a telltale if the wheel has been cut smaller?