Information on Derby Car Supplies by Roadway Racers?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Information on Derby Car Supplies by Roadway Racers?

Post by RACER X »

Speedster wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:21 am The tools are Derby Worx tools but made in China. Hobby Lobby raised the price but still cheaper because there is no shipping cost. Hobby Lobby has a nice display of the tools but right now the Route 20 store is out of most things that are popular. They sell a wedge block of wood that is identical to Hodges Hobby House slim wedge but Hodges has 3 - 25/64" holes drilled in the back. Hodges price is $2.45 compared to HL $3 +.

At our Pack 217 workshop we polish bores with Novus 2 Fine scratch remover and a fluffy stick from Walmart. This is a learning experience for the scouts. Those fluffy sticks from Walmart are Super Cheap. We have about 300 pieces after we cut them. There are 5 - 3/8" variable speed drills on the table and a bucket of water on each end of the table. We have magnifying glasses on the table so the scout can look at the bores before and after polishing. Fluffy pipe cleaners, Tamiya wedges, cut Walgreens cotton swab shafts are displayed and talked about briefly. An experienced adult is at the table at all times to help the young scouts. This is a Fun table to watch. Those young scouts really get into it.

NO-NO-NO they are not Derby Worx Tools!!!!

We were doing a program with them for the last few years with Pine-Car and they dropped us both and copied everything in China.

Our e-mail is blowing up with unhappy customers thinking that we made the tools.

Racer X
Derby Worx, Inc.
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:32 am
Eagle, a Gentleman you know well (Whoda) is the man to ask about wheels or anything else regarding the Pinewood Derby. If he doesn't know the answer I fear it is probably lost to History. Whoda probably knows the names of the people who cut out the cars for the 1953 race.
Well Speedster...
I wish i could tell you but.. I do not know all the names of people who cut the cars out for the 1953 race ..
But i do know that it was the skilled committee members who.. cut out all the blocks for making the very first 1953 car kits.
And that all the wheel's for the 1953 car's were purchased from a local hobby shop back then.

However Speedster:
If I were to make a guess on where the wheels came from.. just based on the early wheel type being plastic & 1 1/4'' in diameter.
as described in the pinewood derby car drawing by Don Murphy and what's also seen in the OCT 1954 Boy's Life .

I would have to say that the wheels that were purchased at the hobby shop .. came out of OR came from.. the Ace model kits.
Ace products of Pasadena, Ca on 60 N. San Gabriel Blvd. made some very popular balsa model car kits from 1946 - the 50's ..

( today's travel time is just 1 hr and 46 min away from Manhattan beach ... down 110 threw Los Angeles in to Pasadena.)

However this is just a guess on where i think the purchased wheels came from as I'm not for certain on the early 1953 wheels!

Roadway Racers derby car supply.. for Hobby lobby
https://trademarks.justia.com/881/00/de ... 00842.html
This is all I can find about the Roadway Racers.. hope it helps.
Whoda.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Hello, Racer X,

I didn't word that in enough detail. I should have said, "They are Replicas of Derby Worx tools. For that I apologize.

We do a lot of workshops. I have been involved with the Pinewood Derby for the past 35 years and still am very active. Recently we worked with a Carpenters Union and serviced 150 scout cars.
I have all Derby Worx tools and multiple of 2 of them. I did buy what Derby Worx calls The Pro Body tool from Hobby Lobby to match it up with the same tool from Derby Worx. Unless the aluminum is a different grade the holes seem to match up perfectly. I never had any intent to hurt Derby Worx in anyway. I was simply answering a scouts question and that's why I'm on Derbytalk , 3 times a day, every day, year around. The Pinewood Derby is my year around Hobby.
I hope my Posts help everyone and hurts no one.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:17 pm The Pinewood Derby is my year around Hobby.
I hope my Posts help everyone and hurts no one.

Same here Speedster!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

AGREED!

PS I wish Derby Worx would sell direct. In this day and age I do not understand the appeal of what they do. Get them to me in bulk and I'll list them up on eBay. WIN-WIN-Win. Those looking online (which most do these days get the best toll for the job. Derby Worx would sell more. And, we keep manufacturing in the USA.