Information on Derby Car Supplies by Roadway Racers?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Kindintentions
Journeyman
Journeyman

Information on Derby Car Supplies by Roadway Racers?

Post by Kindintentions »

I recently went to Hobby Lobby to purchase some more supplies for this year's Pinewood Derby and realized that all of the "Pinecar" supplies that they have had for the last few years have been replaced by Hobby Lobby's new store brand "Derby Car Supplies by Roadway Racers". Does anyone have any information on these supplies, are they being made by Woodland Sciences like "Pinecar" or is it a completely new manufacturer?

In particular I was looking to get a new axle slot jig, but was not sure if the new one from "Derby Car Supplies by Roadway Racers" and the axles they sell have the same specs as those from "Pinecar".

Any help is appreciated.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Information on Derby Car Supplies by Roadway Racers?

Post by gpraceman »

Interesting. Hadn't heard of them before your post.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm going to guess that Roadway Racers is nothing more then a Trademark for Hobby Lobby stores. The products are all probably made in China which doesn't make them bad.

What do you mean by "Axle slot jig? What is the same tool called by Derby Worx? What is your main concern? We have a Hobby Lobby store close by. I should be able to answer your questions. Others might have the same questions.
Kindintentions
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Kindintentions »

I did go to Hobby Lobby today and looked at the back of some of the packaging. It looks like it is indeed a trademark of Hobby Lobby. And it says clearly on the back - "(c) 2018 Roadway Racers - Oklahoma City, OK 73179 - www.hobbylobby.com - Made in China."

It was the "Derby Car Axle Slot Jig" that I was particularly looking at but seems all of the Pinecar items they used to stock have been replaced by the "Derby Car Supplies".

I thought it might be possible that they are utilizing the same Chinese manufacturer as Revel did, but I do not have any information on that.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I still do not know what you mean by Axle slot jig. Would this be the tool that Derby Worx calls the "Pro Axle Guide" or perhaps the "Pro-Body tool axle drilling guide"? The nail can easily be checked with a caliper. If you don't have a caliper, Harbor Freight sells them at a very reasonable cost.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Speedster, I believe he is talking about the jig to add/recut axle slots. Some rules require slots, but do not require the 4 3/8" wheelbase etc.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Eagle, you might be correct and perhaps some day we'll find out. I have never seen that tool in any of the Big Box stores. Our scout shop does not carry that tool. I have not been to Hobby Lobby yet so maybe they do carry that tool. I'll email Kindintentions and perhaps my curiosity will be satisfied.
Kindintentions
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Kindintentions »

Speedster,

I sent you an e-mail regarding the tool and its link on the Hobby Lobby website, hopefully it clairfies things. It is the tool that you use to drill axle holes/expand axle slots. I just wanted to know if anyone knew if it was properly machined and had the right drill bit with it.

Thank you.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

OK, I have received my answer - Almost. Thank you, Kindintentions.

The Pine Car Axle Slot Jig, $13.99 is the Derby Worx tool, "Pro-Body tool Axle Drilling Guide." The picture of the Axle slot jig was angled so I could not tell if the hole for a raised wheel was at the other end. There is no mention of the tool being able to drill a hole for a raised wheel. The holes look like they are positioned accurately to drill and spread the slots if you are using slots. The supplied drill bit is probably a #44 which I believe is .086. We use the Derby Worx tool only for the raised wheel hole because it takes about 10 seconds to raise the hole.

Be careful of this next one. Derby car alignment adjuster $14.99, SKU1545235. They're talking about bending nails. I suspect this is one piece of what takes 2 pieces to accomplish this. I don't see the 2nd piece For Sale.

Derby Worx tools
Pro - Rail Rider tool. $12.95
Pro-Axle Press ll - $17.95
Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Kindintentions
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Kindintentions »

Good to know that the Derby Car Supply Axle Slot Jig is the Derby Worx tool. I did purchase it and it does indeed have the hole for drilling a raised wheel at one end of the tool.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you. That is very valuable information.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I checked out Hobby Lobby today. They were very low on a lot of Derby things and out on many others. There order is arriving tomorrow the same time we are predicted to get over 11" of snow and freezing rain with high winds. I live about 600 yards from the shores of Lake Erie and if it's a Nor Easter wind that blows I'll be doing nothing but prepping wheels for some friends. The tools are no longer in colors but are aluminum exactly like Derby Worx. I bought what they call an Axle Slot Jig and will test it to see how close it is to the Derby Worx tool.

I met with the store manager and had a long talk. I will return Monday to meet with her once again and will give her a copy of Troy Thorne's book, "Build a Winning Pinewood Derby Car" and also the package of 2 ounces of 3/8" tungsten cylinders with incremental sizes. She is familiar with the Pinewood Derby and perhaps will be an influence on getting their supplier to stock these two things. I know this will be an uphill battle because they have their own supplier and maybe Hobby Lobby owns the supplier. Hobby Lobby helped me a bit today. I had a coupon for 40% Off one single item. Life is Good.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Speedster, The items at Hobby Lobby look like Pinecar rebranded to me.

Wish you were closer. I would love so see your wheel bore prep and see if you have any tips on the Vintage 1953 wheels. I would much rather be polishing wheels then the homework I have to have done by midnight Sun.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The tools are Derby Worx tools but made in China. Hobby Lobby raised the price but still cheaper because there is no shipping cost. Hobby Lobby has a nice display of the tools but right now the Route 20 store is out of most things that are popular. They sell a wedge block of wood that is identical to Hodges Hobby House slim wedge but Hodges has 3 - 25/64" holes drilled in the back. Hodges price is $2.45 compared to HL $3 +.

At our Pack 217 workshop we polish bores with Novus 2 Fine scratch remover and a fluffy stick from Walmart. This is a learning experience for the scouts. Those fluffy sticks from Walmart are Super Cheap. We have about 300 pieces after we cut them. There are 5 - 3/8" variable speed drills on the table and a bucket of water on each end of the table. We have magnifying glasses on the table so the scout can look at the bores before and after polishing. Fluffy pipe cleaners, Tamiya wedges, cut Walgreens cotton swab shafts are displayed and talked about briefly. An experienced adult is at the table at all times to help the young scouts. This is a Fun table to watch. Those young scouts really get into it.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The holes and actually the tool itself lines up perfectly with the tool made by Derby Worx. The only visible difference is the HL tool is not as smooth and shiny as the Derby Worx tool. I have no idea if the HL tool was made from the same grade of aluminum as the Derby Worx tool.

Eagle, a Gentleman you know well (Whoda) is the man to ask about wheels or anything else regarding the Pinewood Derby. If he doesn't know the answer I fear it is probably lost to History. Whoda probably knows the names of the people who cut out the cars for the 1953 race.