Wheel Bore Sealer

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
OOBigFish
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wheel Bore Sealer

Post by OOBigFish »

Hey Derby Talk,

I recently tried the Simple Green bore sealer and found that it left my bores less shiny than simply polishing with Novus 2 when inspecting with a magnifying glass.

Should a sealer leave the bore with less sheen?

I tried both cleaning it off within a short amount of time and also leaving it in the bore to dry before cleaning. I feel like both ways gave the same end result which was a bore that was less shiny.

I know the devil is in the details of a
Prep process. Am I just not doing something right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Wheel Bore Sealer

Post by Speedster »

OOBigFish, Welcome to Derbytalk.

Simple Green? Have you been talking to Whoda? OK, I'm kidding.

Simple Green has a lot of different products. What exactly did you use? My understanding about the Simple Green products is they are Non Toxic cleaners. If used at all I would think they would be used before polishing with Novus 2. Some scout racers then use Liquid Glass or some other preferred wax and then graphite. I know nothing about oil but some on Derbytalk are very familiar with the use of oil for lube.

Where did you learn about using Simple Green regarding Pinewood Derby wheels?
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

OOBigFish wrote:Hey Derby Talk,

I recently tried the Simple Green bore sealer and found that it left my bores less shiny than simply polishing with Novus 2 when inspecting with a magnifying glass.

Should a sealer leave the bore with less sheen?

I tried both cleaning it off within a short amount of time and also leaving it in the bore to dry before cleaning. I feel like both ways gave the same end result which was a bore that was less shiny.

I know the devil is in the details of a
Prep process. Am I just not doing something right?

You want to apply the simple green to the bore(I like using a no scratch applicator).Leave the access in the wheel. When applied to all wheels go back and buff with a fluffy pipe cleaner. Blow out with air. Done.

Just to clarify....you're using simple green from derby evolution and not the cleaner right?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OOBigFish
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by OOBigFish »

Yes, the bore sealer from Derby Evolution, not the cleaning product.

Problem is when I do it either way I’m left with a bore that is less shiny than simply polishing with Novus 2.

Wondering if this is normal. I’ve been inspecting my process more carefully this season, and the sheen lessens after applying the simple green.

Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

OOBigFish wrote:Yes, the bore sealer from Derby Evolution, not the cleaning product.

Problem is when I do it either way I’m left with a bore that is less shiny than simply polishing with Novus 2.

Wondering if this is normal. I’ve been inspecting my process more carefully this season, and the sheen lessens after applying the simple green.

I can't say I've noticed much difference afterwards. I take a piece of pipe cleaner about 3 1/2" and chuck it in the drill. Put wheel on. I do high speed and move the wheel back and forth about 5 times. Blow out the fuzzies and call it good.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I think I've read all there is to read about this product. I can't find it on the Internet. Derby Evolution puts the sealer over the whole wheel. What are we sealing the wheel against? Moisture? After polishing with Novus 2 I use Liquid Glass and then graphite. Does the sealer take the place of the wax? Someone must have decided this was a benefit but I'm wondering How Much. It's cheap enough but is it worth doing on a scout car that will be used once a year. I'm all for going faster and am willing to do anything that will contribute to that. If you tell me Oil is Faster then Graphite and then send me to the records of the Mid America, OK, yes it is. I would prefer to not put anything on the wheels that might work against what I'm presently doing. Is there any proof this is worth doing?
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

Speedster wrote:I think I've read all there is to read about this product. I can't find it on the Internet. Derby Evolution puts the sealer over the whole wheel. What are we sealing the wheel against? Moisture? After polishing with Novus 2 I use Liquid Glass and then graphite. Does the sealer take the place of the wax? Someone must have decided this was a benefit but I'm wondering How Much. It's cheap enough but is it worth doing on a scout car that will be used once a year. I'm all for going faster and am willing to do anything that will contribute to that. If you tell me Oil is Faster then Graphite and then send me to the records of the Mid America, OK, yes it is. I would prefer to not put anything on the wheels that might work against what I'm presently doing. Is there any proof this is worth doing?
It more for the oil process, I think. Pretty sure it's just a repellant of some sort. It doesn't need a cure, so that is what makes it attractive. I can have my kids apply it, then buff it out with a no scratch applicator.
I've heard liquid glass is pretty good. Do you have the old formula or the newer? The old stuff is almost impossible to find.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The can has a picture of what they claim is - "world famous Utopian Dream Machine 1964 Corvette IMSA Roadster." It's a Red corvette and looks to me like its got a 1967 hood on it.
Check your email for a picture of the can.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster that's the older liquid glass!

Speedster wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:11 am Simple Green? Have you been talking to Whoda? OK, I'm kidding.
Ok yes.. I use the all-purpose simple green lemon sent cleaner for my wheel prep as it safe for use on plastics.
It is my very first step to cleaning the wheels and bores free from dirt, dust, oils and what knots on the wheels and in the bores.
I soak the wheels in it and scrub them out .. rinse the wheels under running water and dry out with air.
Before washing them out again .. in Dawn blue 2x dish soap and rinsing and drying them once more.
I do this as an added precaution to make sure that nothing is in the wheel bores before polishing the bores with the Novus polish .

It's kind of an over kill to get good and clean wheels & bores .. before starting any wheel bore polish job if you will .
The simple green cleaner and degreaser it self will strip wax's!

I have no idea what Derby Evolution's simple green wheel bore treatment product for oil and graphite lubes is.. as I have never used his product!

( As a guess!)
It's probably some type of an SI02 formula.. like the Green Nano skin slick hydrophobic quick detailer sealant that can also be used on plastics.
found at Walmart in the automotive section
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

We started using the Simple Green at our church workshops 2 yrs ago.
We use Novus first to get out the imperfections and polish that out.
We then just swipe some SG in the bore with large cotton pipe cleaners.
We let the wheels set while we polish the axles then we polish the bores with a drill and pipe cleaner.
I’ve also noticed the shine is not as brilliant as with Red Rocket but the oil does bead and shed nice in the bore.
We switched to SG just because easier for the small kids to use and we can save a little time.
I like the wax for pure speed though.