New GrandPrix Race Central Website

Links to cool non-commercial derby or regatta websites or web pages!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New GrandPrix Race Central Website

Post by gpraceman »

darin_mcgrew wrote:If it were my browser, I'd adjust its default font size so that normal text didn't appear way larger than I would rather have it. See also http://css.nu/articles/font-analogy.html
Instead of adjusting my browser(s), I'd rather develop with the likely setup of most users, which doesn't normally include messing with default font sizes. I am satisfied with the font sizes and do not really see the need to continue messing with them. I need to move on to other things to get the site ready.
darin_mcgrew wrote:I use a minimum font size of 12 pixels. My normal font size is 13 pixels, so there isn't much room for fonts to shrink.

My normal font size is fine as it is. I used to set my minimum font size at 11 pixels, which is legible, but not very comfortable. But too many sites that I visit frequently use microfonts for important text (like the main navigation links at the top of http://derbytalk.com/), and I want to be able to read that text comfortably.
For me, 13 pixels is huge. I do understand that it all depends on personal preference and/or necessity due to poor vision so I can understand those that would like to be able to change the size of the fonts.

I do agree that the small fonts in the header of this site are way too small. I don't think I ever touched that stylesheet when setting up this forum. I will address this once I can get the new GrandPrix Race Central site finished.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote:For me, 13 pixels is huge.
And that is exactly the reason to avoid fixed-size fonts.

I've got better than 20/20 vision, but I've also got high-res monitors. I adjust my browser accordingly.

I don't adjust the font size when I borrow someone else's browser to access the web, or when someone (whose browsing environment I don't know) accesses my web pages.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I think we've beaten the font size issue to death. Time to move on.

Does anyone have feedback on the features of the site?
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Well, I've got all of the photo's for the photo gallery uploaded, except for my family's cars from this years Awana Grand Prix. Those will be up shortly. There are now over 100 photos in the gallery!

If anyone would like add to the "Visitor Submissions" photo album, you can register to be a member of the site and then upload your car photos along with its information (racer name, organization, race group, awards, etc.).

Registered members of the site can also:
+ Upload files to share with others (graphics, race documents, race charts, etc.)
+ Add links to their favorite sites
+ Submit articles
+ Submit news (for upcoming events like the Lowe's Derby Design Contest)
+ Submit product reviews

So, if you'd like to help out in making GrandPrix Race Central and even better race resource, then come and join in.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Well, the new site is now up. Still got to upload photos of our cars for this year's Awana Grand Prix and last year's pack race, but hopefully that will be soon.

http://grandprix-race-central.com
Randy Lisano