Illegal Parts?

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Illegal Parts?

Post by gpraceman »

Have you noticed that most sellers of car "speed" parts (eBay and online) don't post any type of disclaimer about checking your rules to make sure the parts will be allowed for you race?

With online suppliers, I have seen some disclaimers, but (surprising to me) not all do.

Whereas, on eBay, I have a much harder time finding such disclaimers (haven't seen one yet as far as I can recall). Instead, I see such outlandish statements (pertaining to finished cars and parts) as:

"Have the show car at your derby"
"Shock and Awe Everyone at your derby"
"Let this kit be your Secret Weapon"
"Dont be left in the dust"
"1st place or nothing"
"Nothing but SPEED MATTERS"
"100% SCOUT LEGAL"

Yet there are no dislaimers that such cars and parts may not be allowed by your rules. IMO that is pretty pathetic :!: It is bad enough to feed the "win at all costs" message that our society is increasingly barraging us with, but these races are held for scout groups, church groups, and other groups that are trying to mold out youth into better people. Part of that should be to teach good sportsmanship, like following the rules.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problems with these parts (or even the cars) IF the race rules allow them. I just have a problem with how many sellers are trying to push their products. It seems all about the $$$.

BTW - How can something be "100% Scout Legal", if I have seen many race rules specifically prohibit such a car/part?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Illegal Parts?

Post by TAL »

gpraceman wrote:BTW - How can something be "100% Scout Legal", if I have seen many race rules specifically prohibit such a car/part?
Yea, That was kinda' one of my points in another topic I started (What is BSA legal)...

I always see items that would'nt fit some pack rules I have seen and or read but yet some seller's and reps still represent their item as BSA legal...

Just because maybe it started out as a BSA product does'nt always mean it is still BSA and or Scout legal...
Bulldog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Illegal Parts?

Post by Bulldog »

gpraceman wrote:It is bad enough to feed the "win at all costs" message that our society is increasingly barraging us with, but these races are held for scout groups, church groups, and other groups that are trying to mold out youth into better people. Part of that should be to teach good sportsmanship, like following the rules.
Couldn't agree with you more!
gpraceman wrote:BTW - How can something be "100% Scout Legal", if I have seen many race rules specifically prohibit such a car/part?
Statements like that should be immediately considered suspicious, especially since many rules vary by district, or even at the pack level! What is especially troublesome to me is the people who are naive enough to believe such statements, and then the boys are so disappointed that their cars do not pass inspection and cannot be raced- I've seen it happen before- We had a family with two boys who bought "Pinecar" kits in lieu of official BSA kits. The wheels did not pass inspection, and they could not race. It was quite sad. The following year, our pack added a "custom" race at the end of the derby so people could race with alternate wheels.