Physics and the Pinewood Derby - www.pinewoodphysics.com

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
jpswensen
Merchant
Merchant

Physics and the Pinewood Derby - www.pinewoodphysics.com

Post by jpswensen »

We recently began selling and education video entitled "Physics and the Pinewood Derby". It can be purchased through Amazon.com or directly from out website at http://www.pinewoodphysics.com.

Physics and the Pinewood Derby is a feature-length educational DVD that teaches science and math through the pinewood derby race cars. It presents a perfect way to encourage your child's interest in math and science, while spending time together building a great car. In the video, you and your child will learn: 1) The science behind the pinewood derby presented by a PhD in physics. 2) Tips and techniques to build a fast car, including Dr. Acton's unique wheel alignment fixture. 3) Instructions on how to build a simple two lane track in your garage to perform experiments and test your cars.
During one year while Dr. Scott Acton's son was participating in the pinewood derby contest associated with their local Cub Scout pack, his son had begun to show a greater interest in math and science. Dr. Acton saw an opportunity and used the pinewood derby to teach and encourage his son to learn more. Upon telling other parents in their pack about the fun they had and the relationship they developed by working together on their cars, and to help the pack get better at building pinewood derby cars, they invited Dr. Acton to make a presentation to the pack on what they had learned. As time passed Dr. Acton realized that he could share what he had learned with a greater audience, and Physics and the Pinewood Derby was conceived.

jpswensen
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Physics and the Pinewood Derby - www.pinewoodphysics.com

Post by jpswensen »

We also started offering the video as a download for those who wait until the last minute. I'm not sure how fast the download will be come pinewood derby season and a lot of people are downloading simultaneously (we hope), but when we were testing we got anywhere from 500 KBps to 2 MBps.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Has anybody viewed this DVD? Reviews?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I bought it and own a copy of it.

Unless it's been updated, I got it like over a year ago.

It was a good video. Some info at the time was a little outdated, But was a good video.

The length of it, made you feel you got your moneys worth getting it.

I was hoping for more and a newer version, but not sure its been updated with the tips and suggestions I gave them back then or not.

Sporty
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

*5 J's* wrote:Has anybody viewed this DVD? Reviews?
Sporty started a thread with a review of this video, and a few comments were also shared here. The first half of the video is a physics tutorial, and the second half is a clinic on how to construct a car of Dr. Acton's design, with a portion at the end dedicated to the construction of a simple two-lane test track (e.g., without a timer or starting gate mechanism).

Unless the video has been recently updated (and if my memory is correct), there are some recommended practices in the video which stray from recent consensus opinions seen on Derby Talk:
  • 1. Rail riding is not mentioned. The emphasis of the video is rolling straight with full tread contact.
    2. The recommended alignment method involves the precise installation of set screws which, while very interesting and clever in principle, is probably beyond the abilities of any child. IIRC the video does not discuss how to get good alignment without set screws and does not discuss canted-axle configurations.
    3. The construction methods assume a stock wheel base. I don't recall the video discussing the potential advantages of an extended wheelbase.
    4. Dr. Acton's preferred wheel-bore treatment involves tapping wheel bores with a 4-40 thread tap (which he admits he had not studied as being beneficial, it's just something that he "likes to do").
    5. The video promotes melting lead with no mention of tungsten. Again, not a kid-friendly activity, but interesting to watch nonetheless.
Regardless, the video includes a great physics tutorial and my kids really enjoy watching it. Dr. Acton and John Swensen did an admirable job: it keeps one's attention and is hands-down the best produced PWD video that I have seen yet. :bigups:
jpswensen
Merchant
Merchant

Post by jpswensen »

An update may occur when I finish the PhD (hopefully about 1.5 years from now). Until then, I am a bit short on time for the amount of work required to do a thorough update.