BSA Colored Wheels...

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

BSA Colored Wheels...

Post by Lucky13 »

I just received the 2 sets of colored BSA wheels that I ordered from [no advertising for this vendor].com !! I like them so much that I've already ordered 3 more sets !! My boys went nuts over them and they are already working on paint schemes for their cars to match the wheels !! lol !! Just figured I'd let everyone know, if you are looking for the machined colored wheels, [no advertising for this vendor] now has them in stock.

Lucky 13
ScoutAndDadTeam
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: BSA Colored Wheels...

Post by ScoutAndDadTeam »

We're still trying to figure out if we are going to allow them in our race(s). The rules say you must use the wheels that come in the box.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

The rules say you must use the wheels that come in the box.
But what happens if a wheel gets damage while building your car......you go top the scout store and purchase a new set.................Which is completely legal to do within the rules of the kits if you ask me..I think this rule is intended for to discourage people from trying to make there own wheels out of different materials
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

ohiofitter wrote:
The rules say you must use the wheels that come in the box.
But what happens if a wheel gets damage while building your car......you go top the scout store and purchase a new set.................Which is completely legal to do within the rules of the kits if you ask me..I think this rule is intended for to discourage people from trying to make there own wheels out of different materials
Actually that rule usually is intended for one of two things. You must use the wheels that come with the "official kit", in other words, for a BSA race you cannot use Awana, Pinecar or other wheels. Or it may mean that you need to use the wheels that come in the specific kit that was handed out to the racer. Usually, it is the former.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

I agree with you 100% Randy...But I think the extra wheel kits would not even be questioned if the were used
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

We have a rule that states: "Axles and wheels shall be only as provided in the Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby kit."

I am holding off on the colored wheels until I see if we can change this rule, clarify it, or until I see someone else get away with using them. Rule enforcement in our pack is kind of hit and miss and requests for rules clarification usually gets a vague response.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

1st we have to look at two issues / comments.

One not many if any packs allow for machined wheels.

Some or most packs allow for the mold mark to be removed. However some rules will state non lathed or machined wheels.

But can sand the mold mark.

This is always a area of topic and debate. As in the end the process really results in the same ending. mold mark removed.

now the other is just the BSA colored wheels from BSA wheel and axle kit.

It is a official kit. Just the kit does not contain the wood block.

All packs should allow the official kits to be used, Or replacement parts.

Since I do not see bsa selling kits with colored wheels, the wood block/wheels.

Likely due to packaging issues. I think this is also why they went to the new clear wheel/axle container. Instead of the carboard box.

Which I really like, as it also can serve as a spare wheel / axle caddy.

There is no performace advantage to colored wheels. It is a factor of more fun and enhancement to the cars for the kids.

So black lotus will have to give us a shout out and let us know, what the pack decides.

We are lucky enough in are area packs and council, it states the wheel kits can be used. So this makes it easy to solve that issue.

it will be interesting to soo how some packs who have tight rules or only allow the wood kit to be used. how they handle colored wheels. Or children showing up with them on the car.

Sporty
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Lucky13 »

I actually contacted our District Executive and I was in total agreement with his response.."Yes the colored wheels our legal, anything we sell at the local Scout Shop is legal at Pack, District and Council. We would not sell any items that weren't legal for use in our races".

I cannot understand why the colored wheels would even be an issue for ANY Packs out there.

1. They are the exact same wheel that comes in the kit, just a different color. Like Ohiofitter said, if you break a wheel or damage a wheel and go to the Scout shop and buy replacement wheels, is that against the rules ?

2. Why would you try to take away the fun factor for kids ? Isn't that suppose to be part of the whole Scout pinewood derby ? My boys went crazy over the new wheels. They have definitely brought some new excitement into building their cars. My 8 year old has a notebook with about 10 car designs in it all based around his new blue wheels !! lol !!

3. You would possibly discourage BSA from coming out with new pinewood derby items by shunning the new wheels. If BSA sees good sales from the new wheels, maybe it will encourage them to add more new products or improve on the existing ?

4. Revenue for BSA !! By saying no to colored wheels you would cut into BSA sales. In turn, that cuts into more programs and such for the KIDS !!

Just a few thoughts guys !!

Lucky 13
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

BlackLotus wrote:We have a rule that states: "Axles and wheels shall be only as provided in the Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby kit."

I am holding off on the colored wheels until I see if we can change this rule, clarify it, or until I see someone else get away with using them. Rule enforcement in our pack is kind of hit and miss and requests for rules clarification usually gets a vague response.
I can tell you that there is no set of rules that can stand on their own over time - there needs to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be this clause in your rules:

" Rules stated within this document may be revisited, amended, deleted, or modified as deemed appropriate by the PWD Committee as a result of new advancements in official parts, materials, and other situations "

I would recommend not allowing yourself to be boxed into a set of rules that cannot be amended if deemed appropriate - I have had to create rules for the 8th largest council in the US, and make them consistent with the district as well as our single Unit. In doing so I have learned that you always leave yourself an out, as well as room for adjustment if necessary.

Specifically about colored wheels:

1. they are produced by the same vendor as previous generations of wheels

2. wheels and axles sets are sold separately and are considered to be what comes in an official kit.

3. allowing the wheels does not materially change the "performance threshold" for a standard wheel allowed within a given event - it only changes the color.

4. colored wheels are here to stay, so adopt them now rather than next year to let the boys enjoy the benefits

just my two cents

Nicholas
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

ScoutAndDadTeam wrote:We're still trying to figure out if we are going to allow them in our race(s). The rules say you must use the wheels that come in the box.
Our pack rules also state that you must use the wheels that come out of the box. In fact, they go as far as to record the wheel mold numbers of all the wheels within each kit and cross reference the kit to each cub that receives it. At inspection, they flash a pen light into each wheel on the car and verify the mold numbers. If you lose or break a wheel, you contact the PWD Committee and they'll give you a new one that is recorded into their data. Not sure that the color wheels will fly with our pack.

Of course, if the tube packaging on the color wheels was unopened and then taken to the PWD Committee to have the mold numbers recorded, there might be a chance that they would allow it.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Nitro Dan,

Wow !

That some serious rules. Can you mention how well the local pack winners do at council ?

Sporty
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Unfortunately there are no districts or council races in our part of PA. I've discussed with them about possibly hosting a district race, but a race of that size would take all our resources to host and all it would be benefiting is 3 or 4 kids who qualified from our pack. Because of this, we can't seem to justify it. If there was some advantage from the district for hosting this type of event, I think more packs would be willing to give it a try.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

Nitro Dan wrote:Unfortunately there are no districts or council races in our part of PA. I've discussed with them about possibly hosting a district race, but a race of that size would take all our resources to host and all it would be benefiting is 3 or 4 kids who qualified from our pack. Because of this, we can't seem to justify it. If there was some advantage from the district for hosting this type of event, I think more packs would be willing to give it a try.

-Nitro Dan
In our district, all kids are allowed to come to the District race no matter how they finished in pack. This just gives the kids another chance to get together, have some fun and do some more racing. Now to qualify for the Council race, you must finish in the top 5 in District.
This approach wouldn't work in some of the more populated areas as they already have hundreds of kids show up at District that had to qualify. But in the smaller places such as yours, it would just give the kids another chance to have some fun with other kids from different packs.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

Nitro Dan wrote:Unfortunately there are no districts or council races in our part of PA. I've discussed with them about possibly hosting a district race, but a race of that size would take all our resources to host and all it would be benefiting is 3 or 4 kids who qualified from our pack. Because of this, we can't seem to justify it. If there was some advantage from the district for hosting this type of event, I think more packs would be willing to give it a try.

-Nitro Dan

Try talking to your District Executive about the possibility of doing a silent auction at the event of donated items from local businesses - people would them "bid" on prizes, the District would generate funds as a fundraiser, and the leadership might see it as a nice community builder.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

pack529holycross wrote:donated items from local businesses
How about "sponsored cars". Built either by one pack/district builder or by the sponsoring business. Race the sponsored cars sporadically throughout the event.