1 1/8" Tungsten Round

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

1 1/8" Tungsten Round

Post by *5 J's* »

Does anybody know a source of 1 1/8" Tungsten Round? I would like to take advantage of the clearance items Andy is offering and build a few cars for fun, but cannot locate and 1 1/8" Tungsten Rounds.
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 1 1/8" Tungsten Round

Post by 5kidsracing »

Go to "a place to be named in a PM to you", go to the speed supplies, tools & weights page, and in the pull down for tungsten disc you will find a:

2.9 oz 1-1/8" dia. x 5/16" thick disc or an option for that disc with 1 oz in cubes.

Good luck,
Scott
Last edited by 5kidsracing on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Kind of hard for someone to help out with finding this odd size if the forum software is blanking out the vendor name.

Any chance of a mod posting what the site is to help the OP out, and anyone else looking for those discs as well.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

psycaz wrote:Kind of hard for someone to help out with finding this odd size if the forum software is blanking out the vendor name.
Unfortunately, some vendors have violated this board's advertising rules due to the products that they sell (completed or mostly completed cars) or due to their behavior on this forum. So, no advertising is allowed for those vendors.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 5kidsracing »

I sent you a PM 5 J's... Good Luck
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

I understand Randy - it's just unfortunate that their site seems to be the only one selling 1 1/8" Tungsten Rounds.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

It is curious about these 1 1/8" rounds. I have seen (3) vendors advertise what I would call the "original" 3 oz. size - 1 1/8" x 1/4" (or 0.28"). None are showing any stock right now (PWE is not showing up period). This has been my favorite size for thin, stock WB Scout cars. We have prefered this to the 1" x 0.375" size, but that one is also nice if you can handle the extra height (with an easier fit between the axles).

Others now offer a similar weight in a larger volume, which is not the way I want to go. I will watch the next month or so as the vendors gear up to see what is all available. Maybe the "original size" are not being made any more, and that is why Andy is reducing these cars ?
andylester
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andylester »

quadad wrote:It is curious about these 1 1/8" rounds. I have seen (3) vendors advertise what I would call the "original" 3 oz. size - 1 1/8" x 1/4" (or 0.28"). None are showing any stock right now (PWE is not showing up period). This has been my favorite size for thin, stock WB Scout cars. We have prefered this to the 1" x 0.375" size, but that one is also nice if you can handle the extra height (with an easier fit between the axles).

Others now offer a similar weight in a larger volume, which is not the way I want to go. I will watch the next month or so as the vendors gear up to see what is all available. Maybe the "original size" are not being made any more, and that is why Andy is reducing these cars ?
I have no idea if they are being made any more. I would say if there is enough demand for them, the bigger dealers should be able to get more of them somewhere. I do know that tungsten rounds are used by machine shops to balance crankshafts. If you do a search for those that sell those weights for that application, you may find something that works for you. They offer them in many different sizes.
Thanks,

Andy Lester, Owner

Lester Racing - Laser Cut Gravity Car Innovation
http://www.lesterracing.net" target="_blank

Mountaineer Precision Products
http://www.mpp-models.com" target="_blank
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

I'm still looking for 1 1/8" round tungsten. I would like something a little heavier than the 2.8 oz from the vendor 5-Kids mentioned, though I may need to make do with these unless vendors can get some in. Used to be able to get 3.5oz in the 1 1/8" diameter.

If anybody else has had luck finding any, please send me a link.

Thanks,
5 J's
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

andylester wrote:I have no idea if they are being made any more. I would say if there is enough demand for them, the bigger dealers should be able to get more of them somewhere.
*5 J's* wrote:I'm still looking for 1 1/8" round tungsten. [...] If anybody else has had luck finding any, please send me a link.
While some like the larger-diameter rounds, our experience has been similar Sporty's in that the weight placement seems harder to get "just right" and the large diameter tends to interfere with the rear axles. Also, I believe there have been some discussions on DT about the 3.5-ounce rounds being too heavy for many designs and therefore less useful. I am therefore wondering if demand for the larger-diameter rounds has diminished over time and resulted in their lack of commercial availability?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

I am looking for the 1 1/8" rounds to use in some bodies Andy Lester has on sale. I suppose I could wrap a 1" round with some lead flashing. Code 3 lead flashing is 0.052" thick and Code 4 is 0.071" thick.

As an example - if I wrapped a 1" x 0.370" tungsten round in 1/16" lead flashing to get a 1 1/8" disc the disc would weight approximately 3.75 ounces. (3.25oz of tungsten and 0.50oz of lead). :thumbup:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
*5 J's* wrote:Code 3 lead flashing is 0.052" thick and Code 4 is 0.071" thick.
*5 J's*, where does one get lead flashing? I inherited some, but have never been sure how to replace it once used up.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote::offtopic:
*5 J's* wrote:Code 3 lead flashing is 0.052" thick and Code 4 is 0.071" thick.
*5 J's*, where does one get lead flashing? I inherited some, but have never been sure how to replace it once used up.
I believe any hardware store has it including Lowes and Home Depot. You can also get it online, tough it's a bit pricey to ship.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Some data to add to this thread:

Tungsten density 11.127 ounces/cubic inch (nominal)
Lead density 6.555 ounces/cubic inch (nominal)

1" x 0.370" tungsten disc = 0.5" x 0.5" x 3.1415 x. 0.370" = 0.2906 cubic inches
0.2906 cubic inches x 11.12 ounces/cubic inch = 3.23 ounces
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

While Tungsten has a higher density, it is a very tough material to work with, hard to find, and expensive. By contrast, lead can be cut with a band saw, is readily available (see product 9032K274 at http://www.mcmaster.com" target="_blank), and inexpensive.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge