NEW Derby Monkey pinewood derby store...

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

NEW Derby Monkey pinewood derby store...

Post by Lucky13 »

Derby Monkey Garage is pleased to announce the opening of a 2nd retail store location. DMG and Bob “Lucky 13” Hardwick have partnered to create Derby Monkey East located in Somerset, Kentucky.

As an authorized Derby Worx Dealer and Derby Worx Pro Shop, Derby Monkey East stocks a wide array of hi-performance car kits, parts, tools and supplies for the Pinewood Derby car builder. Bob also provides advice and free use of his test track and timer to regional scouts who need a little help or who want to simply test their cars. For more info on Derby Monkey East in Kentucky go to http://www.DerbyMonkeyEast.com

Derby Monkey East
88 Jacks Lane (Unit 4089)
Somerset, Kentucky 42501
Phone Number 606-677-9157

Open Hours:
Thursday 11am-7pm
Friday 11am-7pm
Saturday 9am-1pm

Now with locations in Tyler, Texas and Somerset, Kentucky
PWD Rookie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: NEW Derby Monkey pinewood derby store...

Post by PWD Rookie »

To leave an unsolicited testimonial -- I have to say that I've ordered my annual supplies from Derby Monkey website for the last two years and cannot be more pleased with the service I received. Prompt, friendly, and reliable. I'll be going back to them for as long as I'm involved in the Pinewood Derby. Highly recommended. :bigups:
johna745
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by johna745 »

To quote a warning I received in a private message a while back.."No advertising is allowed for sites that sell completed or mostly completed cars". I'm confused :? :? Is this different somehow?
Last edited by johna745 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

johna745 wrote:To quote a warning I received in a private message a while back.."No advertising is allowed for sites that sell completed or mostly completed cars". I'm confused ??????????????
As far as I know, they are not selling completed or mostly completed cars. If I am incorrect, please enlighten me.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Lucky13 »

Derby Monkey East does not sell "complete or mostly complete cars". Building the car is up to the Scout/Parent team. We offer advice, products and free use of our test track to help them build/tune their own car.

Lucky 13
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I am trying to find out from Steve what is up on this issue.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Derby Monkey
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Monkey »

Derby Monkey Garage is a strong proponent of the car being built by father and son. I am a scout dad and my son and I cherish the time we spend together designing and building his car. Its an opportunity that all dads and lads should have. I am totally against the idea of selling a complete car to a lazy dad just for a quick fix because he doesn’t want to spend time doing it himself… or because he simply wants to buy a victory.

I realize how the idea of Derby Monkey Garage selling complete cars got started. A while back, Derby Monkey Garage provided a list of completed cars for a corporate Pinewood Derby race that was used as a fund raiser for a scout pack. The pack charged a sponsorship/entry fee to companies to enter the corporate race that was separate from the scout race. The entry fees went to the scout pack.

We were contacted by the pack to provide cars for companies who wanted to participate in the fund raising race but were not in a position to build and submit cars. So we listed some complete cars on a separate webpage that the companies could view and purchase. The url to that site was supposed to be only accessible by the companies that received the link. We tried to structure that page so that it could not be accessed from anywhere on our website. It didn’t quite work out as well as planned.

Since there has become a possibility that one of these cars could be purchased buy a scout dad for a fast fix for an upcoming scout race… we deleted that webpage altogether. We will no longer promote completed cars for any reason… corporate or not.

Derby Monkey Garage also has several precut kits that require a certain amount of work to become race ready. Non of the kits are designed to simply put on wheels and race. Some kits do require less work than others. In fact, our Revell Pinewood Derby Kits licensed by the BSA require as little amount of work as any.

We are very cognoscente of the fine line between offering too much or too little in the way car kits for scouts. We do our best to help those kids less fortunate who have no dad in the picture but still want to race. In today’s society I see more and more singles scout moms. On the other hand I do realize that there is a point where we can do too much in helping a child when it creates an unfair situation for the other scouts.

Derby Monkey Garage continues to uphold the integrity of Pinewood Derby and Cub Scouts. I thank all of you for your continued support.
Steve Robbins

Derby Monkey Garage - Derby Worx Pro Shop
http://www.DerbyMonkeyGarage.com

Fast Pinewood Derby Tips Blog
http://www.FastPinewoodDerbyTips.com