Coach's Secret Lube Marketing Video

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Coach's Secret Lube Marketing Video

Post by FatSebastian »

I wasn't too sure where to post this, but this video's production value seemed entertaining enough to share.

https://youtu.be/bTLGbmnJLvk

Some critical discussion of the actual lube product may be found here and over here.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coach's Secret Lube Marketing Video

Post by gpraceman »

I wonder who is the person behind Pinewood Derby Coach? There is just a Yahoo email address. The domain name registration is masked, so that doesn't give a clue. No real info posted on this "Record Holder World Champion Race Car" claim. No posted mailing address or phone number. Seems rather sketchy to me.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:No real info posted on this "Record Holder World Champion Race Car" claim.
Yes, "World Champion" is a rather bold marketing claim. Fortunately there is a picture of a big trophy that provides sufficient context to figure it out...

The trophy picture is labeled "bh500.jpg" and there is a mural-sized picture of a vintage automobile on the wall, two clues (discoverable via Google) that the trophy is attributable to the 2010 Blackhawk 500, the Mt. Diablo Silverado Council championship race held annually at the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, CA. The standings of this race can be discovered on this page, including images of all the entries. The Coach's Almond Joy racer is entry 172, which according to the standings belongs to a Scout surnamed "Layeghi" from Pack 201 of San Ramon. This newsletter describing the event also includes the trophy photo.
gpraceman wrote:I wonder who is the person behind Pinewood Derby Coach?
Note that there was an open race at the 2010 Blackhawk 500 event which included someone having the same surname (placing 4th with car #501). One might therefore guess this is the Coach? Regardless, this photo from the event appears to be the Layeghi race team, which resembles the duo on the Coach's home page. The home page picture of the gentleman and the champion Scout is named "pinewood_derby_coach.jpg".
gpraceman wrote:No posted mailing address and phone number.
Sporty somehow talked to him on the phone.
gpraceman wrote:Seems rather sketchy to me.
:idk: Maybe... but at least the video is entertaining!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Good sleuth work. IMO, with a legitimate eCommerce site, you shouldn't have to dig to find out who's behind it. It should be clearly posted on the site.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:IMO, with a legitimate eCommerce site, you shouldn't have to dig to find out who's behind it. It should be clearly posted on the site.
Also, marketing one's self as a "coach" or personal trainer necessitates the establishment of a familiar, trusting persona.

However, might one chalk up the lack of clarity to simple inexperience? For example, the proposal (from the video) that entire Packs should offer Coach's lube to their Scouts signals unfamiliarity with the consumer group being targeted (almost no Pack could suffer the apparent cost of $6.65 per car!). Also, hyperbolic claims like "graphite causes lung cancer" or a "World Championship" was garnered, together with the lack of other context, may strike some potential customers as suspicious. But a lack of marketing acumen may be too common with many small entrepreneurial endeavors. The Coach seems to have a viable dry-lube possessing some meaningful advantages, so he might be better off being more up front, perhaps giving samples away (as [no advertising for this vendor] did on DT) to some reputable racers with the means to independently test. Such a marketing strategy should establish community goodwill, generate positive buzz, and create good product reviews that could replace dubious promotional hype.

Anyway, all of this is somewhat off topic... I was really thinking someone might find the production value of the video amusing. :D
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Wow FS, I think you just qualified for a tryout on a future episode of NCIS or another one of those shows ! Remind me not to post any pictures ... ;)
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

You guys crack me up.

I spoke with one of them on the phone a few times last year. We corrisponded a few times. I got my samples for free and tested it. Then I bought some.

I did allot of testing and yes for some, you might think it would be easier to get ahold of them, but I can assure you. the stuff works.

I am not promoting it, I get nothing out of it., no perks ect.

But you just have to read the other post, I gave my thoughts and I tested the heck out of it.

I got it faster than graphite and my son won his pack and council with it. So I believe in the level 3 version.

I tested level 1, level 2 and level 3. I think all they sell now is level 3. They might have tooken my info and data and modified the previous versions.

I do think the price is to high.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:I got my samples for free and tested it. Then I bought some. [...] I got it faster than graphite and my son won his pack and council with it. So I believe in the level 3 version.
Thanks Sporty. I guess my point would be that, given the cost of the product, leveraging a testimonial such as yours would be much more effective marketing than, say, the video. ;) Many people would hesitate to risk that kind of money based on the word of the manufacturer alone.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

sporty wrote:You guys crack me up.

I spoke with one of them on the phone a few times last year. We corrisponded a few times. I got my samples for free and tested it. Then I bought some.

I did allot of testing and yes for some, you might think it would be easier to get ahold of them, but I can assure you. the stuff works.

I am not promoting it, I get nothing out of it., no perks ect.

But you just have to read the other post, I gave my thoughts and I tested the heck out of it.

I got it faster than graphite and my son won his pack and council with it. So I believe in the level 3 version.

I do think the price is to high.
So do I Sporty!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

FatSebastian wrote:
gpraceman wrote:IMO, with a legitimate eCommerce site, you shouldn't have to dig to find out who's behind it. It should be clearly posted on the site.
Also, marketing one's self as a "coach" or personal trainer necessitates the establishment of a familiar, trusting persona.
In addition to the noted lack of contact information, I noticed the web site copyright notice said "Duplication and/or publication of content and ideas on this site are prohibited by law." However, while copyright protection may extend to some website content, ideas and discoveries are not protected by copyright law (although the way in which they are expressed may be).

I'll suppose no one else thought the video was strangely humorous! :D
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

I thought the video was rather clever and had some good entertainment value. Thanks for sharing.
RuntPuppy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by RuntPuppy »

"I'll give you something. I'll give you three seconds". That video's funny.