Reduced price on BSA Wheels and Axles?

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Reduced price on BSA Wheels and Axles?

Post by Vitamin K »

Just noticed that the online price for BSA wheels and axles (including colored ones) was $1.99 a tube on the BSA products website. Anybody know if this price is reflected in the local Scout Shops as well?
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Reduced price on BSA Wheels and Axles?

Post by BallBoy »

I know that $1.99 has been the price for the tubes of wheels and axles, including colored wheels, at my local Scout Shop for the last 4+ years, if not longer.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Wish I'd known that before spending $2.99 a tube from a 3rd party source last year.

Although, called my LSS and they've got the tubes for $1.38 apiece right now. Gonna try and swing by this week and clean out their inventory...

BallBoy wrote:I know that $1.99 has been the price for the tubes of wheels and axles, including colored wheels, at my local Scout Shop for the last 4+ years, if not longer.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Fyi - online vendors (including myself) have to buy the wheels for full price. We then typically mark them up $1.00 for resell. Since we are not "Scout Shops", we cannot buy them at a wholesale price from BSA.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Fair enough. Stinks that you guys can't buy/sell them wholesale.
MaxV wrote:Fyi - online vendors (including myself) have to buy the wheels for full price. We then typically mark them up $1.00 for resell. Since we are not "Scout Shops", we cannot buy them at a wholesale price from BSA.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Not sure what the craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore charge, but keep in mind they ALWAYS have coupons, so with the right coupon, you can get a decent chunk off your entire order (or 40%-50% off a single item).
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Yeaaah, thing with those places is that they almost always sell the Revell (Chinese) wheels, which come with nice(r) axles, but the wheels themselves are not so great, from what I've read.
DerbyAddicted wrote:Not sure what the craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore charge, but keep in mind they ALWAYS have coupons, so with the right coupon, you can get a decent chunk off your entire order (or 40%-50% off a single item).
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

I thought all the tubes were Revell.
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

DerbyAddicted wrote:I thought all the tubes were Revell.
You can buy "BSA approved" wheels by Revell which are made in China at some craft stores and hobby shops but if you go to the Scout Shop they sell USA made BSA wheels.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Scout offices have the "Made in the USA" wheel tubes and hobby shops carry the Revell "Made in China" wheel tubes. Revell ones are heavier and are often out of round. Their axles don't have burs though like the BSA ones but again they have a higher chance of not being straight.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I thought the Revell axles tended to be straighter than the American ones? Have I been misinformed on this?
ngyoung wrote:Scout offices have the "Made in the USA" wheel tubes and hobby shops carry the Revell "Made in China" wheel tubes. Revell ones are heavier and are often out of round. Their axles don't have burs though like the BSA ones but again they have a higher chance of not being straight.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I know some scout races will not allow the Revell wheels to be used also.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I wanna say that Speedster's Pack doesn't allow them. I guess you could check for the Chinese wheels easily enough (though it's not like they confer an advantage), but axle inspection doesn't sound like a simple task.
sporty wrote:I know some scout races will not allow the Revell wheels to be used also.