Lead Weights

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lead Weights

Post by gpraceman »

Though not made specifically for derby racing, I have found lead strip stick-on weights at our local hobby store (Hobby People) that work great for derby cars. They are made by Prather Products, Inc. (disclaimer - I have no connection to them) and are usually used in remote control planes and boats. They come in 6 ounce packs that are about the same price as one 2 ounce pack of PineCar lead-free weights. They are marked in 1/4 ounce increments, are easy to cut with wire cutters and have an adhesive backing (very strong). The weight incrementing takes some of the guess work out of weight adjustments.

Being made of lead, I do highly recommend that they be fully covered by wood, wood putty or hot glue. That, and everyone should wash their hands well after they handle the weights.

I think these are a great alternative to expensive lead-free weights and is far better than trying to melt or pound lead yourself.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Lead Weights

Post by MaxV »

If you don't find the Prather lead weight locally, we have the weight at Maximum Velocity.

We also have solid lead weight formed as a 3/8" wire,

and tungsten weights formed as cylinders, cubes, beads, and disks.

Click on a photo to learn more.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lead Weights

Post by gpraceman »

MaxV wrote:If you don't find the Prather lead weight locally, we have the weight at Maximum Velocity.
Thanks Randy. Those be the ones.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.