Decoration Suggestions

General race coordinator discussions.
GoneFission
Apprentice
Apprentice

Decoration Suggestions

Post by GoneFission »

Something I wanted to mention to race organizers out there is the availability of some very nice decorations and promotions.

I grew up on the west side of Indianapolis. I could stand in the back yard and hear the cars at IMS in May or the dragsters at Raceway Park. Wondering around neighborhood motels while the drags were in town, my brother and I got to see a LOT of cars and promotional stuff.

When my pack hosted the District race last year, I contacted a number of racing-related merchandisers. From Mobil 1 and Valvoline, we got a couple of cool racing hats each for door prizes and several Welcome Race Fans banners. We also got some lubrication-related checkered flag pennants. One NASCAR sponsor sent us some of their driver posters. I didn't get a lot from some of the NASCAR sponsors, but I didn't look there as hard as I could. There are a LOT of racing-related promotions to chase.

Find email addresses for racing sponsors, introduce yourself as scouts looking to make your races more fun for the boys. Mention that you'll have 60 to 100 or more parents there, and you would like to have their racing promotions on the wall. You will get enough responses to make a pretty cool hall.
Jthompson

Re: Decoration Suggestions

Post by Jthompson »

Great ideas. This is our first year for pinewood derby. Do you have any email suggestions for sponsers?

Thanks
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

Thanks for the tips on getting free decorations. I contacted several local race teams, a Woodies Car club, Quaker State, Valvoline, STP, auto museums in the area, and several other race sponsers. We have had offers of museum trips and car clubs (woodies) have offerd to have cars at the event. Response is overwhelming.

So far, we have promises for autographed pictures of a CART racing team, woodies posters ( our local woodies club president lives on my street!...I did not know this), and several banners, race flags, and promotional material from local and national sxponsers.

My next contact is Jeff Gordon since he was our Scouting spokesperson for Fall recruitment.

Great tips!

Thank you.
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

Just a followup on this thread. I took your advice. I contacted local car clubs, Indy drivers, race events, and race sponsers. the support has been overwhelming. I have posters of Woodies from our Southern california Woody Assiciation. I have had offers of having woodies and rods parked at the event. Indy sent posters. Quaker State is sending banners and pennants and other promotional items. I have signed CART driver pistures coming for all the Scouts in the Pack.

All I had to do was ask. Thanks for the tips!!!!!!