National 75 years anniversary Race

General race coordinator discussions.
mitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

National 75 years anniversary Race

Post by mitch »

In an article in the Wall Street Journal about the upcoming movie 'Down and Derby" it syas that there will be a National Championship race in May in Dallas , TX. It seems they are taking the winners of around 300 councils.

Does anyone know about this race? I can not find any inforamtion. Our scout leaders don't know anything.

Here is an article about the Pinewood Derby race. It is an article in the Wall Street Journal.
It says that in celebration for the 75 years anniversary the scouts are holding a national championship in May in Dallas, TX.
It seems they are taking the winners of 300 councils.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: National 75 years anniversary Race

Post by Stan Pope »

My expectation is that thie will be more "symbolic" than actual. I will be surprised if participants are reimbursed for travel and lodging expenses, for instance. So, participation will probably be by those for whom it is physically and economically convenient to participate ... along the lines of Jamboree.

And, then, there are councils (such as ours) in which there is no "council champion". (We don't have, or need, consistent rules throughout the council.)

On the other hand, I could be all wet! Just because I've heard nothing in my own council about plans doesn't mean that there are no plans! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I did some research last month and found, as Stan mentioned, it is symbolic only. It's by invitation only. You have to submit your car to your Council by mid-April (district roundtable) and it must be judged based on certain criteria: "boy-built" & showing the spirit of the council.

http://www.mississippivalleybsa.org/Tem ... ontest.pdf
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Ahhh!!! A "proxy competition"! Like WIRL!

That works.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"