Sponsorships, donations, and fund raisers?

General race coordinator discussions.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Sponsorships, donations, and fund raisers?

Post by ranman106 »

I have been asked to be our packs new cubmaster and I really want to do the PWD up! I have headed up our PWD the past 2 years and now I want to implement some ideas I have but I am not sure what the money situation is like. I have noticed that each year it seems that less and less is spent by the pack for the PWD.

What experience have you had with sponsorships, donations, and fund raisers? How did you go about it? Any ideas and all help is greatly appreciated.
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Sponsorships, donations, and fund raisers?

Post by Jungle Jim »

Hit up your local Chevrolet dealership. They are a corporate sponsor of the PWD!
:D
Jungle Jim
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

I was thinking about hitting ALL my local car dealers, tire dealers, parts stores, etc.
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

Ask the boys to go out and get "sponsorship" for their cars. Then give out a trophy for the highest amount of sponsorship earned.
With Christ we are all Winners!!
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

I'm assuming that you need to buy a PWD track or maybe a finish line detector since you need these fundraisers.
The cost of the car is about egual to a Happy :lol: Meal, the trophies can set you back a bit I reckon.

I have an advantage running GP races in our Awana Club. Awana sells inexpensive, Ok, (cheap) trophies through their organization. Does BSA provide any help here or do all the packs have to buy more expensive, 'store-bought' trophies :?:

Hit up the car dealers and Jiffy Lube stations for banners and signs.

Back to the sponsorship thought, even at $4 a car kit, some of my clubbers can't seem to raise that amount. :roll:

God bless you for stepping up and leading these scouts. May more dads take an active role! I wish you and your scouts the best :!:
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

dave4him wrote:I'm assuming that you need to buy a PWD track or maybe a finish line detector since you need these fundraisers.
The cost of the car is about egual to a Happy :lol: Meal, the trophies can set you back a bit I reckon.
Along with wanting decorations, I was looking at the cost of trophies. We need 18 of them. I have found a supplier that sells a kit of 3 that you assemble for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Price is about $17.00 per each set of 3 with 3 lines of engraving. Also, we want every boy participating to receive a medal. I'm looking at the kind that is @2" in diameter with a derby lanyard, not the overpriced medals at the Scout Shop. These are @$2.00 each. Everyone has added the $2.00 to their dues to cover these.
dave4him wrote:I have an advantage running GP races in our Awana Club. Awana sells inexpensive, Ok, (cheap) trophies through their organization. Does BSA provide any help here or do all the packs have to buy more expensive, 'store-bought' trophies :?:
BSA sells a Pinewood Derby trophy. One trophy with no engraving will set you back @$15.00. :shock:
dave4him wrote:
Hit up the car dealers and Jiffy Lube stations for banners and signs.

Back to the sponsorship thought, even at $4 a car kit, some of my clubbers can't seem to raise that amount. :roll:

God bless you for stepping up and leading these scouts. May more dads take an active role! I wish you and your scouts the best :!:
Thanks! I think we will have a blast this year!
bthere
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bthere »

For trophies, we have had some experience with AAA Wholesale Trophies at a relatively good price with free engraving, and free shipping if you order somewhere around $100, and a discount schedule for larger orders. We have also made plaques with certificates laminated for other awards.

For decorations, we have gotten some pennants, banners, etc. from tire and auto stores, as well as car dealerships. We even got a few baseball caps from an oil change place, that made nice prizes for the den with the closest average times (smallest deviation).

For decorations beyond the normal pennants and such, we have the dens compete with a them decoration each year. We have done things like have them make road signs, and have had them make large car profiles (specified the car size around 4' long by no more than 4' tall). etc. The winner gets a pinewood derby pinata made by the committee out of cardboard, papier mache, and tissue paper. We fill it with high sugar content, low cost goodies as well as some of the really inexpensive party favor type items.
Always trying to learn, always hoping to teach.
kcobb
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by kcobb »

Randy,

Hey best of luck again this year! And congrats on Cubmaster. We used a local trophy engraver who does many of the sports trophies in the area. WE got a mix of 5" 4" and 3" trophies for a total of 30 and it only ran us $141.75. I would think you might be able to find the same out of another engraver. This included three engraved lines as well.

We also talked with a local pizza place and they donated some pizzas to us. We also bought some. I believe, and i don't have the records with me, but I think we made about $100.00 off those sales during the mid break in the race. We also popped a little popcorn and sold that, helping our popcorn sales as well.

I discussed what I wanted to accomplish at the leaders meeting last year, and three people helped out and picked up a few things that cost them less than $20.00 each and donated them to the cause. Obviously that helped out greatly as well.

Again best of luck this year!
Kevin
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

kcobb wrote:Randy,

Hey best of luck again this year! And congrats on Cubmaster. We used a local trophy engraver who does many of the sports trophies in the area. WE got a mix of 5" 4" and 3" trophies for a total of 30 and it only ran us $141.75. I would think you might be able to find the same out of another engraver. This included three engraved lines as well.

We also talked with a local pizza place and they donated some pizzas to us. We also bought some. I believe, and i don't have the records with me, but I think we made about $100.00 off those sales during the mid break in the race. We also popped a little popcorn and sold that, helping our popcorn sales as well.

I discussed what I wanted to accomplish at the leaders meeting last year, and three people helped out and picked up a few things that cost them less than $20.00 each and donated them to the cause. Obviously that helped out greatly as well.

Again best of luck this year!
Thanks Kevin! Good to hear from you again. Hope all has gone well in the off season.

I'll check with our local trophy shop but the ones I found on-line were 9", 10", and 11". Pretty good size for the price I think.

We are moving our race to a Saturday this year and doing the concessions as well. We were planning on the popcorn but pizza sounds good too. I'll bring that up at next months leaders meeting.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Ranman,

For the past few years we have built our own trophies for our Pack’s Pinewood Derby. We already have plans to do so again this year. However, this year we will be hosting the District Pinewood Derby and don’t think that we could manage to build trophies for this race along with our own. So we are looking at purchasing trophies from somewhere but will have to cover the cost ourselves… So we to have been asking the sponsorship question. What we have heard so far is that we can’t step on the Council’s FOS (Friends of Scouts) donators. So you may want to check on that so you don’t PO your District Exec. We know that there is a Chevrolet tie in with Cub Scouting but can’t seem to get any information out of our District Executive about this. He doesn’t understand why we can’t just pay for the trophies ourselves… I guess if you get paid to do Scouts that you don’t see that it’s hard to even get half of the parents to participate in a fundraiser! (Oops, stepped on my soapbox there for a minute!) If you don't mind; could you send me a link to the trophies you found?

If you have the room and resources to do so, selling food and drinks is a good fundraiser. We even had a Pack last year sell checkered hats and pennants.

Da Graphite Kid
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Ranman,

So we are looking at purchasing trophies from somewhere but will have to cover the cost ourselves… So we to have been asking the sponsorship question. What we have heard so far is that we can’t step on the Council’s FOS (Friends of Scouts) donators. So you may want to check on that so you don’t PO your District Exec. We know that there is a Chevrolet tie in with Cub Scouting but can’t seem to get any information out of our District Executive about this. He doesn’t understand why we can’t just pay for the trophies ourselves… I guess if you get paid to do Scouts that you don’t see that it’s hard to even get half of the parents to participate in a fundraiser! (Oops, stepped on my soapbox there for a minute!) If you don't mind; could you send me a link to the trophies you found?

If you have the room and resources to do so, selling food and drinks is a good fundraiser. We even had a Pack last year sell checkered hats and pennants.

Da Graphite Kid
Yeah, our DE is no help here. I contacted him last month about the FOS and have had no reply yet. Food and drinks are the ticket at this event!

I pm'd these to you but I am posting here as well so everyone can see.

Trophies:

http://www.crownawards.com/StoreFront/IAFDispatcher

Medals:

http://www.crownawards.com/StoreFront/IAFDispatcher

Looks like I was wrong on the size, they are 10", 11", and 12".

I found some trophy kits here: (Kid, I didn't send you this link)

http://www.trophyoutlet.com/catalog/setf_3851286.htm

They are a little more expensive but are 18", 17", and 16".

Anybody ever use these guys?
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

ranman106 wrote:

This company was used to furnish trophies for the live WIRL sanctioned Lima Land Open race held this last September in Ohio. They were quality trophies.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Ranman,

Thanks for the pm with links. We have used Crown before with sucess. I need to start looking for our District Race as I've got a budget of $100 and will have to supply 1st thru 5th place for all ranks and overall. Looks like we may need another fundraiser before than if we want some good sized trophies!

Da Graphite Kid
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

Mike Parrish wrote:
ranman106 wrote:

This company was used to furnish trophies for the live WIRL sanctioned Lima Land Open race held this last September in Ohio. They were quality trophies.
Glad to hear it. Do you have any pictures of the trophies from the event? Which ones did you use?
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Ranman,

I need to start looking for our District Race as I've got a budget of $100 and will have to supply 1st thru 5th place for all ranks and overall. Looks like we may need another fundraiser before than if we want some good sized trophies!

Da Graphite Kid
One thing we have done with our last two pack meetings was door prizes. Each pack meeting, one den donates 5-6 inexpensive (@$10.00 total) door prizes. Tickets are sold for 25 cents each. We raised $31.75 the first time and $32.75 the second. Looks like we may have enough for the trophies before the end of the year, or close to it.