How many alternate activities during the Race?

General race coordinator discussions.
bthere
Apprentice
Apprentice

How many alternate activities during the Race?

Post by bthere »

I am looking for opinions regarding a Cub Scout Pack Pinewood Derby. The pack size varies, ranging from 60 to 100 Scouts. We usually have total attendance of about 2.5 to 3 times the number of Scouts. We have a lot of helpers between the PWD committee and a local Boy Scout Troop.

We have typically run our Cub Scout Pack race pitting the ranks against each other and then have a Pack level race involving the top 4 or 5 from each rank. We also have an all-comers race for siblings, parents, friends, etc. We have an open category that we run as a fill-in event where a few of the experimenters trick up some vehicles without having to stick to the "standard" rules.

Outside of the main event, we have a snack bar. We have also used a few activities over the years, such as coloring, word search, assembling derby car stands, etc. Besides these relatively quiet diversions, each year we have tried to have another special activity going simultaneously, such as a Matchbox derby, or a Demolition Derby, or, this last year, a speically constructed 4' x 8' track where participants can try their hand with some miniature RC cars (Zip Zaps).

We have gotten a lot of requests to have mulitple of these activities during each race. I have resisted this in the past, not wanting to dilute the attention given the main event.

Finally to the question. How much is too much? We have the room and the volunteers to man and run all of the activities simultaneously, but do we really want to?
Always trying to learn, always hoping to teach.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How many alternate activities during the Race?

Post by ranman106 »

A few quite activities are ok. If you get too much extra going on, I think it takes away from the race. I mean, race day becomes family activity day with a PWD thrown in. I would continue to resist. If they like the extra activities, have a carnival for the pack. just my .02.
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

What have you had the most success with for controlling younger racers/siblings, etc.?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

This sounds like an opportunity to "stagger start" all aspects of youth participation. For instance, suppose that inspection for a grade takes 30 minutes, racing takes 60 minutes and awards takes 15 minutes. The "controlling" activity is the 60 minute racing. So schedule the youngsters to arrive for inspection at 60 minute intervals. They are welcome to be there to watch other races, of course, but only "required" to be there for their own event!

Of course, some families have more than one Cub Scout, so they may be there longer.

If it were me, I'd start with the oldest Cubs first, to serve as role models, especially if the boys handle their own cars during racing.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Our local pack I wish did stagger and they have no extra activities.

Which they inspect the car 2 hours before the race for everyone.

Which makes for a crowded mess and the people end up staying for the race. About 1 hour into the race, kids have hard time sitting and staying focused. They get rowdy.

Staggering is the best way to go. A 3 to 5 hour day is long time for tiger and other scouts. Thats are typical time length

Sporty
RacerRusty
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by RacerRusty »

ranman106 wrote: <Snip>I mean, race day becomes family activity day with a PWD thrown in. I would continue to resist. If they like the extra activities, have a carnival for the pack. just my .02.
Hmmmm Sounds like an idea. If everyone has such a good time maybe once a year (By it's self without the offical PWD race) have a carnival with all the activities and use it as a fund raiser.

Things I never hear -

Work:
My computers is to fast.
My computer has to much memory.
My hard disk is to big.

Scouts:
We have to much money and nothing to do with it.

Just a thought.