Handling winning and losing

General race coordinator discussions.
HeyDaddeo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Handling winning and losing

Post by HeyDaddeo »

I don't know if this topic has been brought up before, but every year there seems to be some kids that just lose it and start crying after their car lost. A few weeks ago, I had an idea that has really taken off among parents in my Pack.

I told my 2 scouts (ages 7 and 8 ) to look at the Derby like it is one big Car Laboratory. Each Scout is a scientist and one time each year these scientists bring their experiments (cars) to the lab to test against other scientists. Some scientists have better results (faster cars) and some scientists try different ideas (cool designs) and at the end we learn from the winners and the non-winners. Next year, these scientists meet again to try it again.

This has sparked them to say things like "I wonder why some cars go faster on the flat parts?" or "Does it really matter if I put Spongebob on the back of my car?" and to look at other cars not as competition, but as peers ideas and an opportunity to "see what happens when..."

It has encouraged them to try harder to get better results and has wonderfully prepared them for any defeat they might experience as that is now a positive experience because of a lesson learned.

Just thought I'd share this angle.

Daddeo