General race coordinator discussions.
RacerRusty
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Unfair Rules

Post by RacerRusty »

doct1010 wrote:BOGUS!! :roll:
Stan Pope wrote:Truly rotten!
scoutfrog wrote:I too would have to scream FOUL!!! And I like the thought of the pre-qualifing past winners.
Stephen's Dad wrote:This is the most hideous thing I've ever read here.
Stephen's Dad wrote:I think that someone on the District rules Committee had a taste of sour grapes when their own child failed to finish strong.

This is a very un-Scouting set of rules.
VENARI wrote:Really, really sad man. Penalizing a child for doing well.
Ditto!!!
2kids10horses wrote:(Unless someone stumbles onto this site their first year!).
:mrgreen:

Not my son, but his Dad's work requires him to be away from home a lot and I was asked if I would help. My first PWD, his second. Last year his car did not get to the end of the track in half the runs. (No pressure :shock: ) This year -

#1 in Wolves at Pack
Fastest overall at Pack
#1 in Wolves at District
#2 fastest overall at District

I hope my terminology is correct there.

My sincerest thanks to all contributors here. I hope to be able to repay the community here some day. :D

2 Official BSA PWD Kits = $8 at local BSA store
Drill press = $60 at Harbor Freight
Drill Bits = $12 at Wal Mart
Sand paper = $4 at Wal Mart
A can of spray paint = $2 at Wal Mart
A set of Tempor paints with brushes = $2 at Wal Mart
A coping saw = $3 at Big Lots
A lot of reading = time
A whole lot of elbow grease = time

Watching a young boys face as older scouts (AND THEIR DADS!!) swarm around him to see his car and ask questions = PRICELESS!!!
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Unfair Rules

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Pinelife wrote:19. If a Scout places First, Second or Third in this year’s race and has placed within the top three places within the past three years in the District Pinewood Derby he will be disqualified this year from being awarded First, Second or Third place. If this situation arises, the Scout will be recognized as a professional pinewood derby racer only.
What does that mean? Is there a 'open class' style separate race?
ronin718 wrote:To arbitrarily eliminate boys from participation simply because they have done well in one year is absolutely contrary to the spirit of PWD.
Wow. I wish people would stop making that statement. the "spirit" of PWD is open to interpretation.

Participation isn't eliminated. A really good sportsman should look to challenge themselves. In the case of PWD, I would think that the opportunity to race against other champions in a division above general class would be a good one. That way you can better yourself instead of simply stomping the rest of the competitors.
Rainman wrote:WOW! That's really a sad situation your in the middle of. If you are winning, and staying within legal "design" limits I just can't imagine a set of rules like this.
Really? As far as I can tell numerous sports graduate top performers to higher levels of competition. Bantam, Midget, double/triple A. while some divisions are age based, many are skilll and performance based.

Part of making competition interesting for ALL is to keep competition as close as possible. Many long term competition leagues have rules that force you up a level after so many wins and force the bottom performers down a level. Team sports limit the composition and makeup of teams to achieve the same balanace. Why? For a reason that IMO is much closer to the spirit of PWD. Close competition and participation. Allowing a pack champ to dominate their years and win all the races promotes the ugly idea that the reason for competition is the prize.