How to run a Council race? Or not ...

General race coordinator discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

How to run a Council race? Or not ...

Post by Stan Pope »

I was an interested visitor at a Council Race held in a nearby BSA Council. Around 130 racers participated in the racing and some number of others participated in the design judging.

The comments below are very similar to a detailed written review I sent to that council a few years ago. Little has improved, so I don't feel badly panning it now. Each of us can learn from our own experiences and from the experiences of others. So, I offer you that opportunity.

The venu was a major shopping mall, chosen (I'm told) to provide "visibility" for the Scouting program. Four tracks were located within a rectangular area at the intersection of mall concourses, leaving approximately 7 to 8 feet along the long sides between the roped-off racing area and the adjacent businesses. This "border area" was to provide space for normal mall traffic, interested parents standing AND Cub Scouts whose cars were being raced by track staff.

Check-in lines clogged the concourse for about an hour.

Scout and parents clogged the concourse for a few more hours.

Public visibility goals were poorly served, unless you count the numbers of well-behaved youngsters in Scout uniforms around the mall. The racing was virtually invisible behind a wall of parents' backs.

Visibility for spectators was good for the Cub Scouts, who were given priority and offered space at the front of the crowd. Visibility for parents beyond the second row of parents was non-existent. Heat results were not announced, although you might be able to tell if your car won or lost by looking at where on the pit table the car was placed after its heats. Few could see the finish line ... hey, few could see which cars were placed at the starting line!

Competition was again "double elim" with the competitors divided among four separate tracks. Each track produced two "finalists" to vie for the four place trophies. They continued their practice of "best 2 out of 3 runs as determining a heat winner. As we know, the "best 2 out of 3 runs" approach only gives the appearance of improved accuracy and does almost nothing to justify more than doubling the time to run the event. How much better served would the boys be by more racing against more opponents? And, as for accuracy, a few years ago, the second place trophy went to a youngster who lost 8 races all day, all to the same car. 4 times during the preliminaries and 4 times during the finals. The 3rd place car from his preliminary races, likely a 3rd or 4th place trophy contender, was not in the finals

Trophies were great! 1st through 4th place trophies, each standing about 24 to 30 inches in height, were awarded for racing and for design. Rather larger than I would choose, but very nice anyway. They will make nice PR photos for later.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How to run a Council race? Or not ...

Post by Stephen's Dad »

This event sounds like it was Council supported to support Council by promoting Scouting.

This hasn't been the thrust of our Council PWD. Rather it has been a fairly low-key event for the most serious Pinewood builder to have a last hurrah of racing before relegating their beloved Pack & District champs to the trophy case. Last year all the host Pack had was trophies. For the 20 boys who registered they didn't even have enough in the budget for patches!

I suppose making it a higher profile affair isn't a BAD idea so long as the boys fun isn't reduced in an effort to promote the Scouting program in general. To me the day is theirs.

The Mall event cited sounds like it may have left a bit to be desired by all affected parties. Clogged concourses & poor viewing doesn't sound like a successful event from any standpoint.

We're getting ready to host our own council derby this year. My primary concern is for a fun & rewarding day of racing for the boys. If I can heighten Scouting awareness in the process that's fine. If media folks come, so be it. Otherwise, I'd rather count on happy Scouts telling their friends what fun the had. This should be cause enough to joins Cub Scouts in my book.

Am I missing the boat if I fail to promote this event to a larger audience or is a larger Scouting presence enough?
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to run a Council race? Or not ...

Post by Stan Pope »

Stephen's Dad wrote:Am I missing the boat if I fail to promote this event to a larger audience or is a larger Scouting presence enough?
Local newspapers are often interested in this type of event. If their story includes pictures of uniformed Cub Scouts doing interesting things, then it becomes a good PR tool. The classic pix are (1) a Cub Scout carefully staging his car at the starting line next to one or two previously staged cars, (2) a group of Cub Scouts behind the finish line cheering as their cars approach the finish line in the foreground, and (3) maybe a pic of the winners receiving or showing their cars and trophies. If you have pics from a workshop showing some boys doing (e.g. cutting, sanding, painting) that would supplement those, the reporter would probably be interested. These are much more valuable for PR than pics of adults staging the cars or carrying the cars back to the pit!

Definitely touch bases with your council's PR person whether it is a district or pack event. Part of his job is to have a list of appropriate contacts.

News coverage can be integrated whether the event is held in a Mall, a large athletic facility, a school gymnasium or a parking lot! The venue criteria should focus on how well the event serves the youngsters of the district/council rather than how many people might accidentally pass behind the wall of parents' backs.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"