Extended Wheel Base?

General race coordinator discussions.
dinidar524
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extended Wheel Base?

Post by dinidar524 »

I am wondering why WIRL does not allow extended wheel bases in their stock division. I had thought that most standard pinewood derby rules allowed for extended wheel bases. I am new to WIRL so I am sure this has been addressed already, but I hoped someone could give me some insight. Thanks.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Extended Wheel Base?

Post by pwdarchitect »

Several Cub Scout type races in our area do not allow extended wheel bases. I think the thought here was to keep it within the standard wheelbase that the blocks of wood are cut to. Only recently have they modified the rule to exclude the use of slots VS. axles holes. It's the race coordinator's rules that have to be followed not anyone else's.

Jim
"RAILHUGGER"
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by "RAILHUGGER" »

I can't answer why but I can tell you that we have always ran extended wheelbase cars , racing at wirl with standard (4.5") wheelbase has been a challenge .I think it adds a little bit more difficulty IMO so maybe thats why. Of course to be truthful it would have probably been as challenging with extended, them boys over there are TOUGH.
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

I think you need to consider the meaning of the word "stock".

I believe it implies as is. Meaning, not to alter the original specs. The block comes with a 4 3/8" wheel base. To extend it would be to modify it and thus be modified and not stock.

In effect the Wirl stock class is really a super stock class. A truly stock class would have tighter wheel specs.