Proposed District Rules - 2 Divisions

General race coordinator discussions.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Proposed District Rules - 2 Divisions

Post by Mr. Slick »

I have posted our proposed rules for our district.

www.PwdRacing.com/cbd_rules_2007.html

I am interested in getting feedback.

Thanks!
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Proposed District Rules - 2 Divisions

Post by Stan Pope »

Looks good for a "first posting"! Way to go!

re: "There should be an unpainted, unfinished wood surface on the underside of the car at least 1/2 x 1" (12 x 26 mm) to be used for an identifying stamp."

If you are to use this stamp to avoid "recycling" prior year's cars, then the location of the bare wood must be prescribed.

This may not be easy, since my preferred body style has barely that much wood to expose! Perhaps you can specify relative to the rear axle?

More as I digest the specs.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Thanks for the feedback!

I have added the car dimension and wheel diagrams . . . just need to get them updated. . . they are from 2002!

I didn't want to force design issues so I just left it up to the individual where the stamp spot would be. I figure that it is a first step. . . now I have to decide what sort of "stamp" will be used to identify the racing season. . . I'm leaning towards a "brand"(wood burning) rather than an ink stamp. With the year "brand" it wouldn't matter too much if a car "accidentally got paint sprayed all over the bottom. (I've seen too many kids using paint!) :-) What do you think?

Thanks again and keep the comments coming!
Warthog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Warthog »

One thought came to mind looking at all the forbidden wheel modifications:

I heard that there was a car in our pack last year that used an older set of BSA wheels - should this be allowed? what would the advantage be? my guess would be that they were a lighter set of wheels than the current ones that come in the kit.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Excellent point about the wheels. When the current design was instituted a few years ago, a small group got together and ESTIMATED that the effect would be "a wash" because of offsetting changes in OD, bore, and weight. However, if you allow "old wheels", then you might get some "really old wheels" ... the ones with the rounded tread, etc. Then things get really spicey!

Since the deep well wheels have been out of the pipeline for several years, you are okay to restrict to "current issue". And, all in all, you are probably better off doing so.
Stan
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

re: "Beveling, tapering, thin sanding, or wafering of the wheels is prohibited."

This says that the tread must be a cylindder section. How do you measure and with what tolerance? Just a couple thousandths deviation across the tread surface is very meaningful.

re: "The car may not ride on any type of springs."

The car's body is inherently "springy" (but not very springy). With treatment the body can become much more "springy." Or you can put some "hardware store" springs together with some carefully selected mechanism and get even "more so".

Where is the line drawn between Okay and Not Okay?
Stan
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

re tread: It is apparent if they have SHAPED the wheel to reduce friction rather being like the rest who just naturally have a small track of dirt on the wheel where it contacts the track since perfect alignment is hard for most of us. :-)

Wood from the kit is by definition OK, addons from the hardware store is a definate violation.

Design of car can help with springing if thin sections extend from a central hub . . . independent suspension - - I made a spider car that has this "feature" - it was extremely fragile . . . is no more due to breakage. :?
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

Concerning the wheels, we tried to limit the "new year design" to mean the current wheel style only to find out that the District allows the older style wheels since they are also "Official BSA". :roll:
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Mr. Slick wrote:Wood from the kit is by definition OK, addons from the hardware store is a definate violation.

I agree with your intention, but it is difficult to justify based on the rule as written ... "springy wood" is an element of the proscribed set of "any type of springs" ... which is why I raised the question.

Did I miss an exception statement somewhere else in the document???

"When all else fails, logic must prevail!" Spock's Memoirs
Stan
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I agree that it is vague. . . how about:

SPRINGING: The car may not ride on any type of suspension made with non-kit materials. Also no type of Inertial Guidance System or Active Inertial Dampening may be used unless powered by BSA supplied di-lithium crystals.

:)

I'm open to better wording to ward off the use of items that would provide an unfair advantage due to a change(lack of energy lost) in response to the track surface, guide rail or joints. I want a fair playing field.
FAST Racing
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by FAST Racing »

Mr. Slick wrote: Also no type of Inertial Guidance System or Active Inertial Dampening may be used unless powered by BSA supplied di-lithium crystals.

:)
:lol: :rockedover: Touche'
Father And Son T eam = F.A.S.T. Racing
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I find that in this sport humor is important. . . too much Star Wars marathon . . mixing up Trek stuff!

Pinewood Derby racing isn't like plowing a field, one wrong calculation and you could end up jumping lanes or losing a wheel!

But seriously, what about using some type of gyroscope to provide guidance?

Some one has tried it, not me, but someone! :)
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Mr. Slick wrote:I agree that it is vague. . . how about:

SPRINGING: The car may not ride on any type of suspension made with non-kit materials.
or, maybe:

SPRINGING: The car may not ride on any type of suspension (e.g. springs, shock absorbers, etc) made with non-kit materials.

For clarity, it may be useful to define kit early in the document, and emphasize use of the term "kit" in italics or bold letters. During the definition, you can include words "as currently sold by the Scout Service Center (or Scout Shop) at <address>." This covers use of non-current kit materials and excludes "kits" and "addon kits" as might be sold elsewhere.

I'd exclude references to inertial guidance as these involve moving parts and would violate other parts of your rules. :)

"When you can't find an appropriate quote, make up one." --- Stan :)
Stan
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I got a copy of the Northern Star Council rules and have posted them at: http://www.pwdracing.com/NorthernStar2007PwdRules.pdf

I like the note about graphite and the parental discussion notes at the end! :)
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

Mr. Slick wrote:I got a copy of the Northern Star Council rules and have posted them at: http://www.pwdracing.com/NorthernStar2007PwdRules.pdf
Good rules but I find the restriction about shaving wheels to be in conflict with being able to lathe wheels. To me, they're the same thing.