Pinewood Derby Seminar

General race coordinator discussions.
heartofgold
Journeyman
Journeyman

Pinewood Derby Seminar

Post by heartofgold »

I am setting up a PWD seminar for my local and neighboring districts. It is not a car building workshop, but more of a “How To” for everything PWD. Though the event is a week away, I wanted to get some feedback on what we are covering and how it is being covered. First, half or a little more will be a series of interactive topics, each lasting 10 to 15 minutes, with different presenters; I expect this to last about 2-2½ hours; here is the rough outline:

I. Introduction to the subject: Conducting a Pinewood Derby
A. What is a Pinewood Derby?
B. Who Participats
C. How is it organized?
D. What are the rules?

II. The Race Car:
A. Elements of a Race Car
B. Size
C. Shape: Limitations and cautions

III. Sportsmanship

IV. The Race Track
A. Elements of a Race Track
B. Length and Lanes
C. Starting Device and Timer

V. The Race
A. Set-up, layout, and decorations
B. Check-in and inspection procedures
C. Handling of Race Cars
D. Race Methods: Elimination, Lane specific, competitor specific
E. Fairness and Judgment
F. Awards: Trophies, Ribbons, Medals, Certificates, etc.
VI. District Rules
VII. The Event: putting it all together

For the last part we will also have 3 different tracks set up. Following the presentation, we will run a short race on each track, using different race methods, and each with a unique style. One will be a 4 lane aluminum track with a timer and Grand Prix Software, the second will be a 6 lane Piantedosi track with a race gate but with no computer support, and the last will be a 30 year old 3 lane wooden track with a lane brain (this last track accurately represents about half of the packs in our area).

The event is to be on Dec 2 and we will be using Power Point to back up the presentations. Finally, many of the presenters will be dressed up as race car drivers and crew chiefs, in an attempt to inspire the pack race committees to be creative in their approach.

Comments and Suggestions?

Doug
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pinewood Derby Seminar

Post by pwdarchitect »

A questions and answers session after each of the heading topics would benefit in case there are question for each of the categories. If you save it until the end of the whole thing, then people might not remember what some of their questions are and not have any.

Jim
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

This is very good outline. Nice work!
heartofgold wrote:Lane specific, competitor specific
Maybe I missed some threads where these terms were used. Could you tell me what you mean by these?
heartofgold
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by heartofgold »

Sorry about that Cory, I posted an early draft of my outline and only included a few updates. The more correct description of these elements would be Lane Rotation and Round Robin. Race methods is , in fact, one of the topics I am presenting myself. I am also doing another presentation, the Race Car, much of which is based upon local District Rules (I have no influence on these) I posted both of these presentations here:

Race Methods

Race Car

Again, comments are welcome. I may only have a week left, but I want this to be one of the best training events my district has ever seen!
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

You missed the Phase Shift Lane Rotation. :-)

Lane Rotation.
Car Number
Lane 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Lane 2 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Lane 3 9 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Lane 4 8 9 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Car 1 races:
2 3 times
3 2 times
4 1 time
8 1 time
9 2 times
10 3 times

(Same distribution independent on number of cars, 1 car will race only 6 other cars in 4 lane track)

Phase Shift Lane Rotation
Lane 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Lane 2 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Lane 3 8 9 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Lane 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 2 3 4

Car 1 races:
2 1 time
3 2 times
4 1 time
5 1 time
6 2 times
7 1 time
8 2 times
9 1 time
10 1 time

(best possible competition distribution
AND easiest to pick the cars for the next race
AND spacing of car#1 at 1st, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of the way through the total numbers ensures equal time between races for all participants
AND easy to create schedule in Excel with cut and paste,
BUT not covered in most software programs YET :lol:
)
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
heartofgold
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by heartofgold »

Thanks, Mr. Slick. I will consider adding that as well.

Are there any other areas or topics which anyone feels I have missed or prehaps should place particluar emphasis?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

On the Q&A portions ...

Questions that clarify words or ideas that you present should be dealt with as you go along.

Questions that extend your presentation ideas can easily "blow" your schedule, depending on the group. Think about ways to manage the duration. One scheme that I've seen that works pretty well is to have such questions recorded on note cards or on "sticky notes", one question per card. Have assistant collect and organize these frequently, e.g. at end of each segment. Then at the end of the day, work through the questions to the group's satisfaction.

As you read each question aloud, you can ask the originator if it had already been answered in the course of the presentation. (That also allows the originator to decide that the question wasn't that important after all, but "save face" by saying, "Yes, it was answered to my satisfaction.")
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

"Everything PWD" sounds like a lot to cover in a one-day presentation. It also does not focus on the varying needs of the potential audience. Event organizers have very different needs than den leaders who have very different needs than parents. Look at the presentation and audience this year and see how those differing needs might be met next time around.

To help that analysis, you might formulate an evaluation sheet to be completed by each attendee at the end of the day that asks what the attendee's role is (organizer, resource, parent) and, for each topic, how relevant the topic is to that attendee's needs.

=====

In classifying racing methods, consider grouping them by "fixed schedule" and "adaptive schedule".

Fixed schedule racing includes charts like Stearn, PPN, lane rotation, etc. in which who races whom is determined up front.

Adaptive schedule racing includes elimination methods and "perculation" methods in which racers are matched against each other (usually based on their earlier win/loss records)

Aspects to discuss should include accuracy, i.e. how well the method ranks the racers relative to the racer's actual speed, and fairness, i.e. how well the method avoids factors other than the racer's actual speed and random chance from potentially affecting the results.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
heartofgold
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by heartofgold »

Stan,

Thanks for your words, those are exactly the ideas and feedback for which I was looking. I coordinate much of the leader training for the district, from Tiger Leader to Sea Scouts. I often overlook (ie, forget) the use of 3x5 or post-it notes for questions. I will certainly try to use that this time. I also like your terminology, “fixed” and “adaptive” scheduling. It certainly better reflects the dynamic of these race types.

“Everything PWD” does sound like a lot for one day. This is, however, the first time in known memory that a training event like this has been put on in our district (or council), and it certainly is the most detailed presentation which has yet to be made locally. My target audience is pack race committees and leadership (including den leaders). The information I am presenting in the race car segment is only 5 minute on how to build a car, and 10 minutes on how to keep within the district rules. This is information I intend for the attendees to pass on to their respective packs and dens.

The remainder of the information is to be used to create and conduct a fun, fair, interesting and exciting event for the respective units. Obviously, many units handle their events very differently, and this is an opportunity to introduce new ideas which these leaders can take back to their units and use as they best see fit. I also want to bring a more common standard to the individual packs regarding the race cars (more in line with the district rules), so that there is less confusion come check in for the District Race.

And as far as time constraints go, I have some freedom there as well. I have billed the event loosely for 4+ hours, and have created a schedule which I hope will retain an element of flexibility.

I have already received some feedback from pack leaders, saying that they have been waiting for something like this to be done for some time. I am approaching the forum in to get feedback on this so that I can put on the best possible event. That is certainly what I have received thus far.
heartofgold
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by heartofgold »

I had the Seminar on Saturday morning. We had 3 1/2 hours of spirited presentations and discussion, followed by 1 hour of playing on our tracks. It was an educational experience for all of us (presentors and attendees alike). Word is that we should be doing this every year (or every other year). Now that much of the leg work is done, that should be much easier.

I wanted to thank you all for your input when I asked for advice. One of the other staff members read the forum and used it as his primary source to put together his presentations, so know that your influence has been felt in Pensacola. The seminar was a success, and I couldn't have done it without you!
Doug Parker
30° 27’ 10.8” N
87° 10’ 32.5” W