Question about the races and awards

General race coordinator discussions.
newarcher
Pine Head
Pine Head

Question about the races and awards

Post by newarcher »

It has been so long that I cannot remember.

How do your PWD's handle awards?

Do you recognize the fastest, best paint job, etc. for the pack only or does your pack have awards for the individual dens for the same categories?

Thanks,
New
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Question about the races and awards

Post by Gameday »

New,

Our Pack awards one speed trophy for each rank (i.e. Tiger, Wolf, etc.). Also, the night before the race the PWD committee reviews each car and gives out award certificates for just about everything imaginable. The result is that every scout gets an award, be it for slimmest, best looking, best design, best paint job, etc.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

There is no standard. It is up to your pack on what you want to recognize.

For trophies, packs usually award 1-2-3 in speed for each rank and some do 1-2-3 in design for each rank. Some packs also award trophies for overall 1-2-3 in speed.

As for design and miscellaneous speed awards (certificates) there are lots of possibilities.
Best Detail
Best Driver in the Car
Best Muscle Car
Best Non-Car Design
Best Paint Job
Best Use of Color
Best Use of Imagination
Best Wheels
Best Workmanship
Fastest Looking Car
Funniest Car
Most Aerodynamic Car
Most Artistic
Most Colorful
Most Creative
Most Decals
Most Futuristic
Most Humorous Car
Most Original Design
Most Patriotic
Most Realistic
Most Unusual Car
Shiniest Paint Job
Smoothest Finish
Sportiest Looking
Strangest Shape
Best of Show
Best Sportsmanship
Best Crash & Burn
Best Gas Mileage
Most Consistant Car
Fastest Car
Track Record

...and anything else you can dream up.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Everyone (except the All Comers) gets a participation patch.

Within each age group, we have a trophy for 1st place speed, and either a trophy for best design or two trophies for best Automobile design and best Unusual design. We have medals for 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th place speed, and about the same number of medals for designs. If the judges thought there were additional designs that were particularly good, we add an honorable mention ribbon or two. (The All Comers awards are just ribbons, and there are fewer of them.)

At the end of the event, we race the fastest cars in each division for a grand prize ribbon.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Other did a fantastic job of mentioning the various awards and catagories.

Something that I wanted to add, was that some packs are limited to funds for the trophies and ribbons and certificates come more into play also.

I might have missed if this was a question for what most packs do or what you should do, if involved in the event or incharge of one.

I think most packs try and ensure that just about every child gets something, from a ribbon to a trophy.

The more spread out the awards and catagories helps ensure that more childeren recieve something.

Also in doing this, helps to show reward to all of the children.

Even though the kids sometimes overlook not getting a trophy versus a ribbon. They still sometimes are upset.

Thats why before the event, It's always good for everything to be explained well to the children on how the event works.

It also good for the parents to take a moment and explain everything to there child.

Sporty
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Our Pack is like Sporty mentioned above, in that we ensure that each boy is provided with an award.

We award 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies for speed for each rank, Best design for each rank and an overall Fastest of the Pack (based on lowest cumulative time, there is not a race of the 1st place finishers - that is another subject).

A participation award is provided for those who did not receive one of the awards delineated above (last year a 3" tall trophy, basically the top of the other trophies but without the various height extenders - this can vary from year to year depending on funds available).

At first I thought the practice of awarding something to all was too egalitarian for my taste (I can't stand that stuff), until I stopped and considered the time put in by all the boys and parents and realized the award wasn't just for "showing up", it was for participating by actually building a car (some rather nice), albeit one that didn't end up being among the fastest or the best designed (whatever best designed means to a group of boys - they are the judges). I don't believe it has ever happened, but if a boy showed up just to watch he would not be provided a participation award.

With the exception of a couple of extra competitive boys (and parents), the boys do not seem to consider the participation trophies as consolation prizes but rather are quite proud of them.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby