Pinewood Derby Podcast

General race coordinator discussions.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pinewood Derby Podcast

Post by PWD »

About three years ago the boys at our district race lost the privledge of racing their own cars. A poorly run derby that ran until 10:00 PM was the reason why the decision was made. Considering it started at 9:00 am it was a very long day.

I was at the late running race and there was many, many problems that day.

I use to love to watch my oldest line up the car perfectly. Some boys would just plop it down. I would be shocked if it ever returned.

The boys have never got to race their own cars at the pack race. At least not during the 9 years we have been racing.

I totally agree with Stan that the boys should get to race their own cars. It is an aspect of racing and defintely a learning experience. Sure it is more hassle.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

PWD wrote:About three years ago the boys at our district race lost the privledge of racing their own cars. A poorly run derby that ran until 10:00 PM was the reason why the decision was made. Considering it started at 9:00 am it was a very long day.

Sounds like the baby was thrown out with the bath water!

Such decisions can be difficult to turn around, but it can be done. If you care enough, you can get involved in the district derby planning. If you don't know who to approach, start with the District Exec. But, do your homework first. Have some "fleshed out" alternative plans that will "put the Scouts back in the racing." Put on your best salesman hat. And, be prepared to put out a whole lot of effort.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Stan Pope wrote:
PWD wrote:About three years ago the boys at our district race lost the privilege of racing their own cars. A poorly run derby that ran until 10:00 PM was the reason why the decision was made. Considering it started at 9:00 am it was a very long day.

Sounds like the baby was thrown out with the bath water!
Unfortunately not the first (or last) time that baby rides the wave out the door. I would expect there were many other contributing factors that the grown ups need to look at as well (or should have looked at first IMO).
Stan Pope wrote:Such decisions can be difficult to turn around, but it can be done. If you care enough, you can get involved in the district derby planning. If you don't know who to approach, start with the District Exec. But, do your homework first. Have some "fleshed out" alternative plans that will "put the Scouts back in the racing." Put on your best salesman hat. And, be prepared to put out a whole lot of effort.
Whether at the Pack or District level, I would recommend 2 particular steps.

1) As Stan indicated, get involved with the planning and/or join the committee. Your input carries greater weight when you back it up with your own direct involvement. Ideas that come with hands and feet attached to help implement them typically go much further than "you guys oughta do ___, oops I need to run now" suggestions.

2) You might need to try an incremental approach i.e. start by letting the oldest group(s) of boys stage their own cars (after all, it is their last year, they are more capable, etc...). If you organize it well and demonstrate success (and added enjoyment by the boys) with the first group, ratchet down to the next level. If it works well enough the first year, you might be able to take the leap back to "let 'em all run their own" in one year.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby