Pinewood Derby Podcast

General race coordinator discussions.
metamorph
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pinewood Derby Podcast

Post by metamorph »

This shows seems really neat and they are doing a series of podcasts on running a pinewood derby.

http://scoutroundtable.wordpress.com/
Ricerocket00
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Pinewood Derby Podcast

Post by Ricerocket00 »

Awesome! Thanks metamorph!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Thanks for posting!

Don't take everything they said as "gospel." Do "due dilligence" before accepting. They "misfired", I think, on a few aspects. Here are my pets:
1. In their races the boys are spectators. Boys can race their own cars. It takes more time and more effort by the organizers. Both are well spent.
2. Cummulative times is not the only way to run a fair and accurate race! Fairness and accuracy can, in fact, be accomplished without any finish line electronics. "No electronics" (what to do if the electronics fails) is a necessary "Plan B" for a district race organizer.
3. "The rules in the box" were presented as "sufficient." In fact, they are widely interpreted around the country, especially on wheel treatment and axle location. The main problem is deciding whether the second half of the box insert should be interpreted as "rules" or as "some ways to apply the rules."
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

No speakee podcast (not a Luddite, just haven't picked one up yet), but it seems Stan and I share a few "pets".

IMO, Boys should race their own cars. It does take a little more time, but who is the race really for? With a little guidance, they are nearly as quick as the adults (and often more careful, another topic...)

At both our local Pack and Council races, the boys pick up, stage, and return their own cars. They are very careful with their creations and have a very good time "participating".

At our local Pack race, the boys themselves do the judging for best design (not so at Council, the sponsoring Org does).

Through actively participating at the event, the boys pick up a couple more lessons about proper behavior and proper staging of the cars.

The only minor problem we have experienced with the boys handling the cars is the occasional "overdirective" parent i.e. "Careful, Billy, Watch your step, Billy, don't drop the car, Billy...". From my observation, though, that faucet always drips regardless of what the boy is doing...

As far as design judging, I think this year we will let the boys have 2 votes each (each must be for a different car). One small issue (esp. with the littlest ones) is that they like their own designs so much, we often nearly end with 12 way ties (1 vote each - their own). :D
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Go Bubba Go wrote:No speakee podcast (not a Luddite, just haven't picked one up yet), but it seems Stan and I share a few "pets".
Go to their website, click the podcast button and it will play the podcast in your "media player of choice."
Stan
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Stan Pope wrote:
Go Bubba Go wrote:No speakee podcast (not a Luddite, just haven't picked one up yet), but it seems Stan and I share a few "pets".
Go to their website, click the podcast button and it will play the podcast in your "media player of choice."
Thanks, Stan. Another first for me since joining Derby Talk. Seems I learn something most every time I log on (that is the point, is it not? :D ).

After listening a bit, the one guy does seem pretty well wedded to the idea that the boys should enjoy the event as "spectators". The boys did judge for best design in his pack, but the idea of them "actively participating" by staging the cars doesn't seem to have come across his screen, so to speak...
Mr. Bob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr. Bob »

Hello everyone... This is Mr. Bob, co-host on the Scout Roundtable. First let me say thank you to metamorph for posting the show on this site. This is a great resource on for getting the most out that little piece of wood.

Second, Chris and I just finished recording episode six and we responded to the points or "pets" that Stan had in his post. I think there might have been some misunderstanding on a few things... We love hearing from listeners and having that dialog. The show will be out Sunday night so please head back over to the site and take a listen.

Good Scouting

Mr. Bob
Down-N-Flames
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Down-N-Flames »

Go Bubba Go wrote:As far as design judging, I think this year we will let the boys have 2 votes each (each must be for a different car). One small issue (esp. with the littlest ones) is that they like their own designs so much, we often nearly end with 12 way ties (1 vote each - their own). :D
The way we handle that is we give them 2 chips (or something like that) and each kid has to vote for themselves as well as someone else. The best design usually wins and the kids still get a vote. :lol:

Woody
Last edited by Down-N-Flames on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Mr. Bob wrote:Hello everyone... This is Mr. Bob, co-host on the Scout Roundtable.
Welcome aboard, Mr. Bob!
Stan
blondie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by blondie »

I think the most important thing to recognize is that what works for one doesn't work for all. There are many ways of holding a pinewood derby and the viewpoint expressed on the podcast was one of many and it needs to be given due respect just as everyone here would want their opinions respected and listened to.

After all, it is for the boys and you have to do what works for the boys in your pack or district.

My two cents.
Mr. Bob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr. Bob »

Blondie, that is pretty much how we responded. Each boy is different, each den is different, each pack is different... What works for some don't work for all. And we are giving our opinions and experiences and nothing more.

Thanks
Mr. Bob
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Mr. Bob wrote:Blondie, that is pretty much how we responded. Each boy is different, each den is different, each pack is different... What works for some don't work for all. And we are giving our opinions and experiences and nothing more.

Thanks
Mr. Bob
That's cool! Opinions help the world go. If the intent of the podcast were to promote specific opinions, then you are right on track.

It appeared to me that the podcast intent was to provide useful information. That intent requires more exposition of the alternatives available. In fact, just because of difference of needs, I suggested listeners do their "due diligence!" There are alternatives that work better for many boys, many dens, and many packs and alternatives which, I believe, better fulfill the purpose of including PWD in the Cub Scout program.

I know that it takes a lot of effort to put together the kind of program that you are attempting. I am suggesting that a modest incremental effort will provide a much better program.
Stan
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Stan Pope wrote:...It appeared to me that the podcast intent was to provide useful information. That intent requires more exposition of the alternatives available. In fact, just because of difference of needs, I suggested listeners do their "due diligence!" There are alternatives that work better for many boys, many dens, and many packs and alternatives which, I believe, better fulfill the purpose of including PWD in the Cub Scout program.

I know that it takes a lot of effort to put together the kind of program that you are attempting. I am suggesting that a modest incremental effort will provide a much better program.
As usual, Stan is more well spoken than I. With his reply above to better guide my thoughts, I think I can now better say what I have been trying to figure out how to say.

1) First, also from me, Welcome Mr. Bob to DerbyTalk.

2) I also recognize and appreciate the amount of effort that it takes to assemble the work you are doing. As one who has been scrounging various places in search of helpful information, I appreciate your efforts to provide it, and look forward to the next podcast.

3) I also think a brief introduction of alternatives would be helpful and require only moderate added effort. An example regarding staging cars (pet of mine) might be as simple as a verbal footnote such as "while we have adults stage the cars, some Packs, Districts and Councils have the boys themselves stage the cars" and then carry on with the description of how your adults do what they do.

4) As to the differences between Packs, Boys, etc... I think Randy from Maximum Velocity hit on another important aspect of this with his recent newsletter article on "Why do you have a Pinewood Derby"?. For an event to accomplish its purposes, we really do have to step back and spell them out to ourselves and use them as a measuring stick with regard to the decisions we make as we prepare the event. An example (I know I am redundant with this theme), IMO if one of our purposes is to maximize the participation level and learning of the boys, then having them learn how to stage the cars properly and perform that action themselves follows from that purpose. Other purposes (fund raising, program "exposure", etc.) might rather lead to adult staging.
Mr. Bob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr. Bob »

All great points... thanks for the dialog.

We have posted the show where we respond to Stan's points. Again, thanks for listening.
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

Mr. Bob wrote:We have posted the show where we respond to Stan's points.
I liked your suggestion of including Stan in a future "cast". Having a respected SME on board, whether it's PWD or any other subject, seems like a great idea.