Prize Ideas

General race coordinator discussions.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Prize Ideas

Post by gpraceman »

I thought I's start a thread about race prizes. Besides the usual trophies and certificates, what other things are good for prizes?

Here's a few possibilities that I could think of:
  • Neckerchiefs - Chief Neckerchief
  • Neckerchief slides - ???
  • Car Stands - MaxV, I know I have seen some homename ones somewhere too
  • Medals
  • Pins - Commander Ed
  • Patches
  • Hats
What else?

The commercial sites above are mentioned just as examples. I'm sure there are several other sources for these, so shop around.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Prize Ideas

Post by KLenort »

gpraceman wrote:I thought I's start a thread about race prizes. Besides the usual trophies and certificates, what other things are good for prizes?
Before I became Cubmaster awards consisted of 1st, 2nd, 3rd (Overall Pack), Best in show Trophy, and participation ribbons. I tried kicking it up a knotch last year by adding medals (Crown Awards) for 1st,2nd,3rd in each den. WOW :dance: did they ever go over good. Many of the scouts wore their medals to school the next day for show and tell (and to show them off). I am going to see if I can get a deal at Wal-Mart for Matchbox or HotWheels instead of participation ribbons this year. We also make a ton of blank certificated that we fill out during the derby. Parents have a blast making up awards for different events (ie Best Crash, Biggest Cheering Section, Best Fuel Economy, Most Patriotic, Best Scouting Theme, Most Realistic, Best Non-Car, etc.) :bigups:
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MathGuy »

The most enduring prize that a kid can receive is the car itself, via a car stand. Cars without prize stands have a 2 week life expectancy with some kids after the race. Prize stands allow the cars to stand the test of time.

The cars that my father and I built when I was a kid was destroyed by yours truley soon after the race. I have found memories of the PWD project, and now with my father gone, and myself doing cars with my sons, I wish our cars would have lasted. Sniff, Sniff, the only memory that I have from those cars we built 25 years ago is a bench vise that I have from my dad that has some spray paint still on it from our PWD project.

A little bit of coordination with the webelos dens, you can produce enough car stands for each prize, the commercial ones are fine, but pricey for a large group.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

MathGuy,
One of our Den Leaders is building awards stands for the 1st through 3rd place winners in each rank for our Pack Derby. Again this year we will purchase a platic model showcase for the Best of Show winner. This will help keep the treasured masterpiece out of harms way. Still, many of the boys just like to play with them on the floors too. As parents, we can help preserve a treasured memory by making their pwd car 'disappear to safety' for about ten years! Actually, my sons think that they have spent too much time working on their cars to possibly damage them by playing with them. My oldest son did play with his first pwd car - won Best of Show that year and he accidently kicked it while playing with it on the floor right after the race. He saw how upset I was and has never done this again. He has passed this wisdom down to my second son: "don't play with it or you'll make dad cry". :roll: Hey, I put a lot of frustrating hours into that car... Also, since I will be getting my own track (if it ever gets delivered!), they can't wait until after our Pack's derby is finished so that they can race their older cars against mine! Now tha will be a treasured trophy I'll keep for a long time - win or lose!

Sorry to get off the subject here but MathGuy brought up old derby car sentiment! Hmmm... I think I'll start a new post!

Da Graphite Kid
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

This plaque (and several others) still hangs on my family room wall. When my Cub Scout settles down, gets married, and starts a family of his own, I expect that this plaque will hang on his wall.

... except the family room wall isn't green! Especially _that_ shade of green!

The plaques are a Webelos Den project and one is prepared for each car in the pack races. In fact, if a Scout makes separate cars for racing and show, then each gets a plaque! Full details are on my website somewhere.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PinewoodPerformance »

We give 1,2,3 in both winners and losers brackets big trophys and every kid gets a participation trophy (about 6 inches)

But... When they are passing them out they call them most creative, best paint job, best super hero, best use of hazardous materials...etc. and the kids never know the difference, I like that...