District Race Quandry

General race coordinator discussions.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

District Race Quandry

Post by gpraceman »

I am running this year's district race and we have to relook at the date for the event. Our two options are holding it on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend or on June 9. We can't push it any earlier due to other things on the district calendar. The June date is the only other one available for our facility, but many of the kids are already out of school. To me, the June date would be better. I think it is more likely to have better attendance on that date than the holiday weekend, but I'd be interested to hear some other opinions.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: District Race Quandry

Post by Buckeye »

I agree with you. The June date will be better. My experience is attendance will suffer on a Holiday weekend. Last year we held ours on Easter weekend and had a definite drop in attendance. Almost 70 of the preregistered boys were no shows.

Hopefully next yearyou will be able to schedule your derby earlier to avoid such a dilema. We do our District schedule a year in advance and our spring schedule is tight also. Now is the time to look ahead to next year.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote:Our two options are holding it on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend or on June 9.

...To me, the June date would be better. I think it is more likely to have better attendance on that date than the holiday weekend, but I'd be interested to hear some other opinions.
You are likely to have better attendance in June (some families may have June Vacation plans, but many more families will likely have Holiday plans).

Also, given that it is a District level event I assume you will have a lot of people "on the road" for the event. Avoid the Holiday Weekend Traffic (and accidents and roadside checks, etc.) if you can.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

We ended up going with a third option. We rescheduled for May 12 and found a different facility. The facility is not as big, but should do. Now, we are working on getting the word out to the packs.

Next year, I will try for a date in April (being careful about holidays).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.