Put My Foot in it last night

General race coordinator discussions.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Put My Foot in it last night

Post by PWD_addict »

BigSilver wrote:PWD_addict,
Sorry for the hijacking. :oops: I will start annother thread. I should have known better. Please accept my apology and good luck with your District race rules and program planning.
No problem BS!!! If I had a dime for every time I've done it, I'd have my practice track!! :D
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD_addict wrote:No problem [garbage]!!!
Looks like your abbreviation for BigSilver was caught by the word censor :lol:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

PWD_addict wrote:...and they don't even have any District PWD rules. I asked and the DE said they'd probably go by the rules in the box (yikes):shock: . That may also mean that they would appreciate someone coming up with some rules.

I will do my best to find out what the history was and see if they are open to considering modifying things. At the very least, to get more boys involved in the event. We have access to our 8 lane Challenger track with GPRM and a devoted staff to help run the race (from our Pack/Troop) so we can get a lot of races run fairly quickly.
Whether they ran by the rules in the box or some formal council-supplied rules, there were undoubtedly some "interpretations and practices that had become accepted" even if they were not clearly written down. It is good to capture these if you can, so that if you decide "not to change anything" then you will, in fact, not change anything! At the very least, you will know what you are changing, and you can seek "buy in" from others with district and pack responsibilities.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

PWD_addict wrote:
BigSilver wrote:PWD_addict,
Sorry for the hijacking. :oops: I will start annother thread. I should have known better. Please accept my apology and good luck with your District race rules and program planning.
No problem [garbage]!!! If I had a dime for every time I've done it, I'd have my practice track!! :D
It was Big Silver's initials--I didn't think of that!!! B followed by the letter S.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Stan Pope wrote: Whether they ran by the rules in the box or some formal council-supplied rules, there were undoubtedly some "interpretations and practices that had become accepted" even if they were not clearly written down. It is good to capture these if you can, so that if you decide "not to change anything" then you will, in fact, not change anything! At the very least, you will know what you are changing, and you can seek "buy in" from others with district and pack responsibilities.
Great thoughts, Stan. I will certainly attempt to get whatever rules that may have been used before. The one Dad whose son went to District last year (bridged last year) said they didn't give any rules. They came in 6th overall, which (no offense to the Dad or Scout) probably means that it's not a particularly competitive District. I say that because the Dad is not overly knowledgeable about making a fast car. His other son came in 4th overall this year but was pretty far off the top two cars in our pack. When he felt my son's car, he was shocked that the rear was so heavy and front so light. My suspicion is that they do a good job prepping wheels and axles.

That's a bit of a tangent but I'll do what research I can to find previous District rules. I checked the websites from Packs in our district and no one seems to have rules posted. I haven't heard back from the DE since my email last Thursday.