BSA pinewood rules

General race coordinator discussions.
RacerRusty
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: BSA pinewood rules

Post by RacerRusty »

On the subject of "4 wheels touching" , perhaps my views are to simplistic (Remember I'm still new to all this).

It seems to me that a live demonstration is worth a thousand words. If you have this rule and would like to see it changed, why not give a demonstration. At the next council/district (not sure of the correct terminology here) round table/meeting, where PWD rules are going to be discussed try this. Bring a scout to the meeting. Preferably a new one and preferable one that has not participated in a PWD yet. In front of the personal at the meeting, hand him a PWD kit. Ask him to open it, review the instructions (Have an adult read them to him if he needs help), let him look at the pictures and then ask him to please put the wheels on the block of wood. (Supply a small hammer if needed). Then have him place the car, wheels down, on the table. Find the wheel that is not touching (you know there is going to be one) and point it out. Then ask him if he had made that wheel not touch because he thought it might make the car faster or if it was just the way the nail fit into the slot?

Does a three wheeler have a speed advantage over a 4 wheeler? I belive so yes. I also believe that if you use the slots in the block of wood (as is without the benefit of a tool) one wheel is simply NOT going to touch all on it's own with out the builder having planned it that way. So I think, with the rarest of exceptions, everyone is going to end up with the same advantage weather they planned it that way or not and if everyone has the same advantage, well then it's not an advantage IMHO.
kevinrevin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by kevinrevin »

As the Co-Director of our District PWD, I have found that distributing the District rules to all the packs well ahead of the season made for a very simple check-in at our District event. Only one wheel issue out of over 150 cars.

Clearly stated rules, with diagrams as needed, made this possible.

Our rules allow 3 wheelers and modified wheelbase. The back-to-back District Champion raced a 4 wheeler, standard wheelbase with out-of-the-box axle slots both years.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

My son's Wolf car (4 wheeler) was considerably faster than his Tiger car (3 wheeler) with pretty much the same work involved. Well the same type of building, painting, weighting, axle prep etc. :)

The goal for him is to have each car better than the last and that both of us have a great time doing it. 8)

BigDozer66
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

kevinrevin wrote:As the Co-Director of our District PWD, I have found that distributing the District rules to all the packs well ahead of the season made for a very simple check-in at our District event. Only one wheel issue out of over 150 cars.

Clearly stated rules, with diagrams as needed, made this possible.

Our rules allow 3 wheelers and modified wheelbase. The back-to-back District Champion raced a 4 wheeler, standard wheelbase with out-of-the-box axle slots both years.
Kevin,
I just noticed your location and it is good to see a fellow ETAC Scout leader on Derby Talk! :mrgreen:

It has been quite a few years since I was in Troop 549 and I graduated from Tatum HS in '84. :D

I am the Cubmaster at Pack 137 in the Tall Timbers District and my son is a Bear this year. 8)

Take care and I am sure I will see you many times here and possibly around the Council.

Later,
Lynn Glaze
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director