How Much Time Needed for District Races?

General race coordinator discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How Much Time Needed for District Races?

Post by Stan Pope »

I agree, Randy. The rig was an attempt to make the test more sensitive and less subjective as well as to avoid reworking the track!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
RacerRusty
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by RacerRusty »

gpraceman wrote: In terms of racers using magnets in their cars, it would seem the simple solution would be to replace the steel start pins with some stainless steel ones. The magnets should be far less attracted to the stainless steel pins. This would render the magnet check obsolete.
I was thinking along the same lines but I was leaning toward aluminum pins. Then no magnetic attraction at all. I just figured sense none of the more knowledgable people here had already mentioned it, there must be some reason aluminum start pins are a bad idea. :oops:
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

RacerRusty wrote:I was thinking along the same lines but I was leaning toward aluminum pins. Then no magnetic attraction at all. I just figured sense none of the more knowledgable people here had already mentioned it, there must be some reason aluminum start pins are a bad idea. :oops:
Our previous track had wooden start pins, but our current track has aluminum pins. We haven't noticed any problems with the aluminum pins. Actually, the "pins" are 1" wide strips of aluminum, to avoid problems with designs with pointy noses, or with recessed noses, or anything like that.
RacerRusty
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by RacerRusty »

Darin,

Now that is cool! Opens up more design options. I wonder if any of the track manufacturers are watching this thread? That sounds like a very good improvement, both from the design and magnet defeating stand points. Very little bit helps. The largest boulders can be moved one chip at a time. :D