How to detect after market Nickel plated axles

General race coordinator discussions.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How to detect after market Nickel plated axles

Post by Nitro Dan »

CanyonLakeDerby wrote:The wheel is more of a challenge, as you said, in trying not to alter the wheel. I was thinking more of a branding or ink stamp on the inside of the wheel - I have to try a few different ways. Using matched wheels means people are buying parts ($7.95) to make their car faster....not everyone knows about this and many don't want to spend extra money just to be competitive. I think the majority of parents don't like it when people start doing this.
Our pack this year, recorded all the wheel mold numbers from each of the kits. Then at inspection they crossed referenced the cub's name with the wheels he got and used a penlight to verify on the car that those were the wheels he was using. It sort of created a unique four number ID for each car when it was inspected. Much easier then having to brand or stamp each tire. It was effective in catching one car that actually showed up with a mold match set. :shock: The parent said they had lost the original wheels and got these as the replacements (even though they told everyone in the pack that if they lost a wheel that they would have to contact the committee for a replacement). I guess they must have thought that they really weren't going to check the wheel mold numbers on each car.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

In a chemical sense, there is probably a definitive test for nickel Vs steel. You'd need a chemist, then, to distinguish them. Not I! FWIW, I am not convinced that the nickel-plated axles are any faster than the steel- a plating job is only as good as the substrate, when it comes to finish. Thus, I think that a sufficiently polished steel axle is as good as a sufficiently polished steel axle with nickel plating. This is a tough call.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

GravityRacer wrote:I think that a sufficiently polished steel axle is as good as a sufficiently polished steel axle with nickel plating.
I've heard that before. ANYTHING is better than zinc plated!!