Video Replay

General race coordinator discussions.
Dad of 3
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Video Replay

Post by Dad of 3 »

We plan on using the video replay this year. Has anyone had experience with the best location for the video camera. What angle is the crowd going to enjoy seeing the most. Is it possible to use 2 cameras and switch the view from 1 angle to another? Possible locations I had in mind would be:
1. Start line would give a good view of the beginning and most of the race but you wouldn't see much detail of the finish.
2. Half way you would still see most of the race but not the beginning and some detail of the finish.
3. At a sharp angle at the finish line when shown in slow motion would be exciting but you wouldn't see any of the race except the finish.
4. At the end so you could see the race but you would probably lose the finish view.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
joe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Video Replay

Post by joe »

Dad, I think camera at the end gives the best overall -- you have to see the finish. Unless you have connections with ESPN and multiple angles anyway.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Dad of 3 wrote:We plan on using the video replay this year. Has anyone had experience with the best location for the video camera. What angle is the crowd going to enjoy seeing the most. Is it possible to use 2 cameras and switch the view from 1 angle to another? Possible locations I had in mind would be:
1. Start line would give a good view of the beginning and most of the race but you wouldn't see much detail of the finish.
2. Half way you would still see most of the race but not the beginning and some detail of the finish.
3. At a sharp angle at the finish line when shown in slow motion would be exciting but you wouldn't see any of the race except the finish.
4. At the end so you could see the race but you would probably lose the finish view.
I like placing the camera at the end of the track and getting as much of the track in the shot as you can. This way people can see more of the "drama" of the race. Some cars start out great and then die in the flat and some seem to rocket from behind.

We have also used the slow motion replay to identify where a car jumped the track and were able to address the problem. If you only show a small segment of the track, you won't be able to do that.

If you are using the RaceReplay software, then you can only use one video camera (unless you have some type of hardware switcher).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Dad of 3
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Dad of 3 »

One concern about placing the camera at the end is that the light bridge will block a significant part of the view. I think you would miss most of the race. I could place it on top of the light bridge but you wouldn't see the finish. I just watched a couple of WIRL videos and I see that they have a camera operator. Is it possible to have a human camera operator? Joe and Randy do you have light bridges?
joe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by joe »

We have one at the finish line -- depending on your camera operator's angle, it will obscure cars some distance from the finish. But it never really bothered me when viewing the video because the cars are in/out of "obscurity" in a hurry, and it doesn't block the finish line. You really get the best look at the finish from this angle.