Pinewood Derby Trading Cards

General race coordinator discussions.
lmingle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pinewood Derby Trading Cards

Post by lmingle »

We wanted to provide a memorable keepsake for our scouts this year. So instead of just handing them a pit pass with a number and string I created trading cards for each scout. They will wear these on a lanyard which will hold them in a plastic badge holder.

Here's how I did it.
First, I used a digital camera to capture photos of everyone and their car. Then, I used Adobe's Photoshop Elements to edit the background to a motion blur at 45 degrees. Next, I added the pack number, a title and individual scout names and their photo on the front template. For the back I used a smaller version of their photo, a gold wreath, and their car photo along with stats like name, car number, car weight, car name.

My inspiration was a tutorial on trading cards at
http://www.heart2heartdesigns.com/SiteR ... %20Set%202
and how to print at
http://www.heart2heartdesigns.com/SiteR ... _print.pdf

I have uploaded the PSD template files to http://www.mediafire.com/?2edkmzjtm3m for anyone who would like to use them. The file is a zipped file with a size of 14MB.

I found that having a colorful background behind the scout had a better appearance than a solid colored wall - but that's just a personal preference.

After laying out the individual scout photos I created a PDF file to be printed at a shop like AlphaGraphics or Kinko's. Just be sure that you match the scout front with the back. Like this
Front:

Back:

I'm able to fit 9 scouts to a sheet. Print in color on heavy stock double sided. Then laminate and cut the cards apart.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pinewood Derby Trading Cards

Post by doct1010 »

Very cool and clever! :thumbup:
heart2heartdesigns
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by heart2heartdesigns »

The trading cards look GREAT! I'm so glad you found the tutorial helpful!

Susan
Heart2Heart Designs
jrdur7277
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jrdur7277 »

How awesome is that!? :)
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Not sure on what stock you printed these, or perhaps laminated.

But would it be a good idea to print a whole page of these for each scout? In other words make them actual trading cards they could all swap amongst themselves?

Not to foster some odd popularity contest...but it might be neat if you printed 9 to a sheet, and the scout could trade for eight of his buddies cards..?

Feasible? Cost effective? Fosters the right attitudes and behaviors? Whacha think?
lmingle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lmingle »

I had these printed again this year.

I selected alphagraphics to make the prints. The printed each sheet double sided on 20 lb paper then laminated each sheet. The cost to have 7 sheets printed was approximately $40.

So, regarding the idea of printing a single sheet for each scout for trading with other scouts I feel that would be too costly for packs to handle unless you had your own lamination machine.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

This is a very cool idea...........The things parents and den leaders come up with
lmingle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lmingle »

The website where I originally linked to with the instructions on creating these trading cards has been redesigned. The article still exists but you need to look in order to find it. The tutorial is listed under tutorials menu item and has the title 'Using Templates to Create Trading Cards' which was posted on September 06, 2008.

The link to the files that I'd originally uploaded to mediafire.com is now at http://www.4shared.com/file/216011333/6 ... Cards.html" target="_blank