Mini derby racers?

General race coordinator discussions.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Mini derby racers?

Post by BlackLotus »

Ok, about 100-150 years ago when I went to a scout day camp, there was an activity that they had set up to make a "Mini Derby Racer". If memory serves, it was something like tongue depressors or popsicle sticks that we painted, attached wheels to, and glued a couple of washers on for the set weight. 10 minutes for construction, 10 minutes in the sun to let the paint dry and then racing. No parent help/interference.

It was hugely popular with everyone and I think they just ran them down hot wheels tracks. Anyone here have any idea about this little racing format, like ideas for wheels and axles.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Mini derby racers?

Post by ohiofitter »

I don't seem to recall that event..But boy does that sound like it was fun
CM924
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CM924 »

Never heard of this either but what a great lead up idea to the actual Derby. Always looking for something interesting for the Pack meetings.
Jeff
Cubmaster Pack 924
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

"neeeeed inpuuuuuut!!!!!!!!!"

What kind of axles did you use?

What kind of wheels?

I have been begging for 2 years for our area to have an "offseason" derby where the kits are in a bag... the kids pick a kit, and work for a full day in a supervised shop... the dads are kept at 30' distance via a rope and an armed guard...

3rd party impartial help is available in the shop...

sandpaper, drill and some hand tools round out the equipment list...

My idea is lame compared to what you describe.

More details PLEEASE?

I want to do this!

We get accused of me building our cars...

my son built his car this year more than ever... more than probably any other scout in our Pack that made top 10 based on my workshops...

but we get accused of me building...

I'd love to squash that rumor.

:)

And this would be fun!

I want an adult class too!

BTW... everyone I work with has this story of "when I was a kid we did a PWD and we won!"....

but nobody at work wants to put it to the test.

I do.

They won't bite.

Glory days... and most of them are higher up folks who have these raging succes stories... but 1/2 the stuff they offer in terms of tech details indicate to me they would suffer an ego beating if we can square off, and I got nothing to lose :)

I'd love my shot at them :)

I'd settle for this mini derby :)

I'd love to see my kid do one!

:)

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
SpinDoctor
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SpinDoctor »

Amazing, I was just thinking about this when I woke up. Maybe cuz our derby is today. I was think in of giving each scout a kit and a spare wheel kit, then go at it. You have 3 hours to complete the car before the race starts. They can only use what is in the kit(s) plus some glue. That will see how creative they can be working with what they have (and all the scouts would have the same thing)
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

OK, I'm in! This would also be great at our day camp this summer! Hmmm, if they're narrow enough, we could use out Best track and run them INSIDE of the rails!
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

I was hoping to put this thing on for a down time activity for an upcoming Space Derby. As I recall, the axles were something just like a push pin, the metal type with the fat head and there was glue and or tape available as well as little bowls of graphite with a small paintbrush.

We were given a zip top bag, with the popsicle stick or tongue depressor, can't be sure what we used and a couple of washers. There was a table with paint, tape and glue. You put your weight on, painted and set it on a tray to dry.

Like 10 minutes later you could pick up your dry car and go to the wheel area. They gave you four push pins and something for wheels. I recall they were very thin like a razor wheel but they had to be something very cheap because there were dozens of scouts doing this. You could put your wheels on however you wanted, add as much graphite as you saw fit.

Racing was a grudge match style just for fun. You challenged your friends or just got in line and raced whoever was near you when your reached the front. You pick up your car at the bottom, make any changes you feel will help next race, and get back in line.

I just wish I could figure out the wheels. Everything else, I'm sure I could work out. Maybe there are some plastic washers that might work. I'll have to check the hardware store.

Teeeman:

I remember adults getting involved too. It wasn't planned but you get a couple den leaders together and they will play with the toys just like the boys.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

I think I have this figured out, if anyone is interested in running something like this. Total, it costs about $.40 per car in materials. My son had a friend stay over so I used them as a "test group". One boy is 6 the other is 7. I gave them each a piece of wood, four washers, four push pins, two pennies and the three sharpies I had laying around the house. It took them less than ten minutes total to construct the cars. This is what they made and raced.

For the bodies, I used 1/4" plywood cut into about 7/8" wide by 2 3/4" long pieces. (In the pictures the wood was only 3/4" wide and the pennies would not fit between the wheels without interfering so, I cut slightly larger bodies later)

I used 1/8" ID 3/4" OD washers. I am looking for 1/16" ID but have not found them yet. There is a lot of slop with the 1/8" but it works.

This is a Hot Wheels 6' track that folds up nice and neat. The cars would make it down without the weight but they got moving a little better with the pennies attached.

The boys experimented with wheel placement, weight placement, and lane choice (it seems lane 1 is the best).

I did have one built and sitting on the table, but they took off from there. I helped press the tacks in after one fell out on the first run. We did not use graphite because, it was my house and I had to clean up.

PS, please don't tell my wife we used her dining room table. She was at book club and the whole thing was packed away by the time she returned. 8)