Cub Scout - Derby Question

General race coordinator discussions.
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Cub Scout - Derby Question

Post by RaceFan »

This question is specifically for Cub Scout pwds. Our pack and a few packs in our area have the derby after the boys have crossed over into Boy Scouts at the blue & gold banquet. We do allow them to "come back" to compete at the derby as Web IIs but turnout is really low. They cross over every February and our derby is usually in late March or April.

What do most of you do in your packs? I think the derby should be in January right before B&G. Isn't that usually "Pinewood Derby" month, anyway? I might know this if I had time to go to all the scout training available but I just don't so I thought I'd just see what you fellas do.

I was thinking about pushing to have it in January next year but I'll be bucking "City Hall" if I do that. What do you think?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cub Scout - Derby Question

Post by gpraceman »

We do ours at the end of January, which is the most popular month by far to hold a race. We do get good participation from our Webelos II. I imagine that doing it after crossover would cause there to be far fewer Webelos II in attendance (which is what we see at the district race).

I'd say try to push it back. Hopefully, there will not be too much bucking.

BTW - March is the second most popular month.

http://grandprix-software-central.com/p ... s&pollid=5
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

We hand the kits out at Christmas, the race in March, crossover (B&G) in April. District race is end of April, typically the day after crossover.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Our races are in January. Crossover is in February. I like it that way and we get good participation.
jbofkc
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jbofkc »

1 - kits at December pack meeting - before Christmas.
2 - cross over january pack meeting
3 - pack race first week of February. Cross over on Monday and WPD is typically that Friday. Very good Webelos II turnout.
3 - district race last wek of March or first week of April.
Eagle Scout
"With God all things are possible!"
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CuriousGeorge »

I would suggest having your PWD before crossover.

We hand our PWD kits out in late november, early December.

Pack PWD is in late January (usually 100% of Webelos II attend).

Crossover is in late February.

District PWD is in March. (Participation from Webelos II at the District Derby is almost non-existent compared to the other ranks).
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

The way I see it. As long as the scout built is as a cub does is really matter what they are for the race. Our race is held in Jan. Our crossover is Beginning of march and our district is end of march. Rules state the car must be built in that year but I've seen no ruling as a crossed over scout not allowed to race...Because if you think about it the troop and district set the dates to race.
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by derbyspeed »

We pretty much do the same as many of you. We used to have the PWD in January but many complained of it being too cold to work on or paint the car unless they did it in the house. (The midwest weather is very unpredictable)

Plus many parents were wanting more time to work on the cars from when we hand them out in December. Although I think procrastination still sets in until March! :lol:

Now we hold the PWD in March and our crossover is actually going to be in May this year. We wanted good attendance at the crossover by the lower ranking scouts as they will receive their awards during the crossover as well.
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"
Glengary
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Glengary »

The PWD race is traditionally held early in March for our pack, after the crossover which is done in Jan/Feb.
Webelos are not included in our PWD race, only grades 1-4. Since our pack meetings usually start 6pm-7pm, I am guessing the past leaders didn't like the race going past 9pm so they didn't include webelos.

Before any type of automated computer scoring which only began a couple of years ago, I've been told the races would go till 10pm or later, past bedtimes for the younglings. I can't imagine tedious hand calculations!
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by derbyspeed »

Glengary wrote:The PWD race is traditionally held early in March for our pack, after the crossover which is done in Jan/Feb.
Webelos are not included in our PWD race, only grades 1-4. Since our pack meetings usually start 6pm-7pm, I am guessing the past leaders didn't like the race going past 9pm so they didn't include webelos.

Before any type of automated computer scoring which only began a couple of years ago, I've been told the races would go till 10pm or later, past bedtimes for the younglings. I can't imagine tedious hand calculations!
That is why we decided to hold our PWD on a Saturday morning. This will be the first year we do it, so I'll see how it goes. Going past even 9 pm on a school night didn't set well with parents. Even worse when problems arose during the race procedure.

Since we are doing it on a Saturday we now are having a Celebrity Business Race and a Family Race. Will be very exciting.
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

PWD_addict wrote:Our races are in January. Crossover is in February. I like it that way and we get good participation.
Same here.

While we are getting good participation from our Boy Scouts in our Open Class race, I still prefer to see the Webelos 2s participate as Webelos 2s and part of the Pack in the regular Pack races.

BTW we have our Test and Tune and Open Class races Friday night, Pack races on Saturday morning.

Our 2 cents.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby