Wheel Weight Tester:

General race coordinator discussions.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Wheel Weight Tester:

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Here's an idea, the lift and scale have already been shown and I thought of another approach.

Could a car resting on a pedestal have its wheel weights tested by air pistons pushing up under each wheel? If they move, disqualified, if they don't they weigh enough.

Not 10thou precision but....
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wheel Weight Tester:

Post by dna1990 »

Seems like I saw a show once where they detected bad 'eggs' on a production line with an air-based test. X psi blew on it and the lighter ones were tossed to the side...

But alas the precsision needed for milligram detection..."OK scouts, now place your car into this vacumn chamber..."
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Ought to work. And if anyone wants to know where it is, just tell 'em that it is over there, under that cloud of graphite! :)

Probably more accurate if a nozzle with a rectangular orafice were used, about 1" long X 1/32" wide and oriented so that air tends to wrap around the curvature of the wheel and not across either face. Might even use two separate smaller streams, one on fore side and one on aft side of the tread! Less graphite would be expelled that way! And might need to insert a baffle between wheel and nozzle to further reduce the air across the faces.

Really only need to check the dom-side wheels ... no one would be silly enough to put "legal wheels" on the dom size and "ultralites" on the other side, would they???

Holding calibration could be a bear, but I don't know that for sure.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

The air wouldn't blow. It would push up pistons.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

My first wheel weigher didn't work... it measured wheels from beneath the car and relied on wheel/bore/axle slop...

turning the car sideways was the key to successful weighing.

The wheel weights are such small forces it would be very, very tough (I think anyway) to build a pneumatic system with a go/no-go approach.

Nor hydraulic.

If you chose 3.2grams as the limit, you would need a system that does not depress at 3.2grams but does at 3.3grams...

discriminating 0.1grams with any mechanical system is going to be tough (maybe via use of a long, long lever arm?).

Do you have a sketch or were you just bouncing ideas?

(with a long enough lever you could make this work perhaps)

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Teeeman wrote: Do you have a sketch or were you just bouncing ideas?
Just bouncing ideas...