Pine woods masters, I need help with next year rules.

General race coordinator discussions.
HERBIE
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pine woods masters, I need help with next year rules.

Post by HERBIE »

Does anyone have a sample letter regarding cub and parent commitments in regards to the building of legal PW cars?
Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on detail production drawings for standards BSA tires? Guys, looking for drawings showing standard dimensions and tolerance for tire Id, width, thickness, hub diameter and any other key dims to use in the production of inspection gages.
Bryan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Pine woods masters, I need help with next year rules.

Post by Bryan »

Our rules are fairly loose in that I do not require a scout to use the actual wood block. I do this because not everyone has access to power tools and I would not someone to get hurt attempting build a car without proper equipment. That being said here are our rules.
Pinewood Derby Rules and Regulations

1. The car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
2. The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
3. The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
4. The car may be shaped any way that is desired.
5. The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished or lubricated.
6. The wheels supplied with the kit or official Boy Scout wheels must also be used.
7. Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
8. The car must not ride on any type of springs.
9. The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
10. Construction of all entries must have begun after last year’s race.
11. Only one car may be registered by any one person in the pinewood derby.
12. No loose material of any kind, such as lead shot may be used.
13. If during the race, a car leaves the track without interfering with it opponent, it shall be considered to have ended its heat at that point.
14. If during a race, a car leaves its lane and in doing so interferes with another racer then the race shall be run over. If in the next race the car leaves it’s lane again and interferes with another car the car at fault shall be declared to have lost the race heat.
15. If the car leaves its lane, at its sole discretion, the track chairman may inspect the track and if the track is found at fault the track chairman may order the race to be rerun and the track repaired.
16. Details such as the steering wheel, driver, decals, painting and interior detail are permissible as long as these details do not exceed maximum length, width and weight specifications.
17. Only dry lubrication such as graphite or powdered Teflon “white lube” will be allowed.
18. Only one lube will be allowed at the beginning of the first race.
19. Once a car passes inspection and enters race only race committee members can touch it.
20. If a car losses a wheel or otherwise damaged, the racer shall have 10 minutes to repair it.

Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection committee before it will be allowed to compete. The Inspection Committee has the responsibility to disqualify those cars that do not meet these specifications.