Question about Time between Heats

General race coordinator discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Question about Time between Heats

Post by Stan Pope »

pack529holycross wrote:Thoughts? Is crowning Rank Champions sufficient at District and Council, or does there need to be an "EVENT CHAMPION" ?

Nicholas
Those rank champs (and their mentors) will want to know!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

pack529holycross wrote:are you saying that if I have 75 tiger cars and run them perfect N on a 6 lane track..... that taking the top 6 and rerunning them would be LESS if a benefit as far as content for the event than just ranking the top cars from the initial round?
Are you running timed races, or are you running points (finish order) races? Others have talked about one or the other, but so far you haven't said.

If you're using points, then it's a good idea to use the first round to select a much smaller number of finalists, and to determine the finish order with a small CPN schedule where everyone races everyone else twice, with the lanes swapped the second time any pair races.

If you're using times, then you'll get better accuracy by collecting more data. In this case, the purpose of the finals is to produce additional data points, so you would either run more races during the finals than during the qualifying rounds, or you would use the times from both the finals and the qualifying rounds, or both. Simply replacing the n runs from the qualifying rounds with a different n runs from the finals doesn't give you any more accuracy. It just gives you different data.

Or you could use a completely different system, like Stan's no-chart n-tuple elimination, but so far you haven't mentioned that.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

Darin McGrew wrote: Are you running timed races, or are you running points (finish order) races? Others have talked about one or the other, but so far you haven't said.
Thank you sir for reminding me about that critical point:

Both events will use Points, GPRM, and the District event will be 6 lane Bestrack. The council event will be on that rediculous monster they built at the Orlando Science Center - 60 foot, 8 lanes, side rail guides, and about a 10-12' starting height.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

pack529holycross wrote:
Darin McGrew wrote: Are you running timed races, or are you running points (finish order) races? Others have talked about one or the other, but so far you haven't said.
Thank you sir for reminding me about that critical point:

Both events will use Points, GPRM, and the District event will be 6 lane Bestrack. The council event will be on that rediculous monster they built at the Orlando Science Center - 60 foot, 8 lanes, side rail guides, and about a 10-12' starting height.
Rats! All the talk of times in the first post left the wrong memory in my head! But all that talk was of "time between heats" (heat cycle time).

But, I covered the points considerations as well, and Darin did, also, with excellent clarity!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"