Different take on awards

General race coordinator discussions.

Should the trophies be given out for sportsmanship instead of place?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 am

Yes
No votes
No
43%
Give out both
57%

Total votes: 14

pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Different take on awards

Post by pack529holycross »

Scouting isnt for everyone.....

I just wanted to take this moment to reflect on a dangerous, insideous influence that can very well undermine and ruin an otherwise important character building period in a young persons life. The influence to which I am referring is the notion that by minimizing awards for the actual performance of a contestant in exchange for "participation" recognition, you somehow INCREASE the benefits of the exercise.

repeat after me.... scouting isnt for everyone....

I find it to be a very consistent axiom that those who participate the MOST complain the LEAST. More specifically, those parents and scouts who show up for all of the meetings, volunteer for leadership roles, participate in derby tune-up days, ask questions in workshops, show up for workshops, and generally recieve information with a minimum level of feedback and response RARELY have anything to say about the final standings of a Derby. Why is that? In my opinion, it is because they know the backstory that goes into your success.

In the bell curve of complaints vs. time invested, I doubt any would disagree that those that show up early to set up when no one is around, and refuse to leave until everything is broken down again are least likely to complain about finishing order. And their kids tend to be better for it, with higher levels of sportsmanship than most.

My personal mantra for why sales is a high-paying profession is that if it was easy, you'd get paid alot less for each sale you made. It is because of the level of difficulty that 80% of the results can be attributed to 20% of the people. In short... until everyone who fills out a cub scout application is gauranteed an eagle scout badge just for participation, there will always be those who CHOOSE to work harder, CHOOSE to step up, CHOOSE to do more, and CHOOSE to distinguish themselves in ways that others have the right to choose not to do. Everything is a choice, and of the tens of thousands who sign up at school nites, only a handful see it through to the endgame, and the rewards of REAL LIFE become possible for those who learn the lessons of REAL LIFE - attendance is not enough if you want more than what others may be satisfied with.

again - scouting isnt for everyone.

There is a reason that 11 of the 13 people who landed on the moon were eagle scouts. I doubt any of them were ever satisfied in their life with a "certificate of participation"

Dont get me wrong - having recognition for the efforts of those who CHOOSE to try is a good important first step to encouraging future participation. Just don't try to appease people through casting a wide net of recognition, because you will only be crippling those who need to know that extra effort is rewarded.

We have expanded our design awards, since there are few ways to "lose" a design competition. I would recommend that since racing comprises one day of a process that takes several months, allowing the kids to recieve excellence in design awards for paint, design, execution, etc. allows for multiple recipients without anyone being first second or third.

Just some random thoughts

PS - my feedback form that I use is also the same form that requires those doing the complaining to volunteer for a position in the next event.. :-)

Nicholas
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Different take on awards

Post by derbyspeed »

The sportsmanship award is a tough call. All scouts should portray good sportsmanship, there shouldn't really be an award for it. I have done this in the past with my karate school and finally realized that, who really has the right to say someone has better sportsmanship than another?

It's a very big judgement call. I suppose the only way to eliminate the problem would be to have the scouts vote on who wins the sportsmanship award. But I wouldn't even add it in as an award. It's comparing boys, not giving an objective and decisive outcome like the racing.

Of course having best of show isn't easy either, but your still not comparing kids, your comparing cars "not behavior" and we usually have someone judge who isn't associated with the pack, a local businessman or city official for the best of show.

I went to a pack race where two scouts tied for 1st and they didn't run them off, just decided to give them two 1st place trophies, as they hand them out at a banquet later. I believe there shouldn't be a tie, they should have been run off. One of the winners had won the pack 2 times in a row and now he wasn't given the satisfaction of knowing if he is the top winner again. I announce at our pack races that there are no ties, we will always run them off. As far as I know Little League doesn't allow a tie for any tournament nor any soccer league.

I believe there are winners and losers, or you can call them nonwinners if you prefer, but that's life and we all know winners and those who improve, do so because of hard work and willingness to learn. If you are offering help and they don't take it then you can't lead a horse to water. Those who are involved will always have a better chance and that's what our children need to learn as well.

I think part of the problem is when someone loses, they feel cheated and in some cases that may be true, but if you give them plenty of opportunity to learn from you or to be a volunteer then you shouldn't have that problem. Ok that's my $0.02 cents worth. I've probably said too much. By the way everyone does get a ribbon for building the car at our pack, but the main thrust is the competition and doing your best.

Another way to add to the fun is give away door prizes during the races, that keeps the interest and make sure everyone gets a derby patch. Of course try to get away from the double elimination if you are still doing that, not much fun when your car only runs two times.

I do kind of agree with the one statement, if they are trying to win the sportsmanship award, then is that really sportmanship?

Every situation is unique, just try not to de-value those who have worked hard and followed the rules.
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"