Quick opinion needed - awards for Districts

General race coordinator discussions.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Quick opinion needed - awards for Districts

Post by pack529holycross »

If selecting the top 3 cars from each rank to run in the district finals, a total of 15 cars - how many trophies would be appropriate to award within that group? I originally had the top 6, but I think that the top three getting trophies and the rest getting certificates is more appropriate.

Any input from District coordinators out there?

Nicholas
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Quick opinion needed - awards for Districts

Post by psycaz »

Are you doing trophies for rank placements (1st to 3rd or 4th)?

If so, then I would believe that top 3 for overall is fine. It's what our district does and everyone seems to really like it.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

We advance the top racer from each rank and then give ribbons (really large ornate ones) based on the results of the finals race. Each finalist gets a ribbon (1st to 5th place).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

i originally started with ribbons for 1 thru 3rd in each rank, with top 6 in finals getting trophies.

I am now modifying to have 2 thru 4 getting ribbons, 1st getting a trophy in each rank, and top three grand finals with district trophies

followup - if you had to pick three categories for design awards, and assuming one of those would be a scouts choice award, what would you use to determine the other two? I was thinking most original and most humourous
boss429
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by boss429 »

It seems our pack keeps adding appearance awards so more boys get some kind of award not just for speed. In fact, we gave out 1st & 2nd place ribbons for each appearance award. The first place ribbon had a small medal on it.

Some of our categories are:
Most Creative
Most Original
Best Cub Scout theme
Best Military theme - very popular!
Fastest Looking
Most Patriotic
Most Radical
Best of Show
Judges Choice
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

If you are doing a district race, I'd stick with design trophies and not do any certificate awards.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Personally, I like the trophy idea for rank positions as well. It is an accomplishment to even place in rank at that high a level. That and the cost can be rolled into the fee to register for the race.

Last year my son finished second in rank and second overall. He cherishes both his trophies! He really is proud when he shows them to folks. Not sure if he would do so if it were a certificate. He seems to treat certificates as something as not as good as an accomplishment. Doesn't matter what you say to him either.

Again, that's just my opinion.