Diversity within each group

General race coordinator discussions.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Diversity within each group

Post by pack529holycross »

I have 23 Packs in our District. assuming that all 23 packs are represented with 3 Tigers each, thats 69 cars racing on a 6 lane track, one time down each lane. My question is this - is there a way within the race roster to increase the diversity of race opponents I.E. reduce the chances that any Tigers from pack 529 race against their same Pack? I am starting to think about this more and more, Im certain Im going to have a slew of cars with 6 points at the end of 6 races. I am thinking that I am going to have to run a finals round in each Rank consisting of all the cars that ran a "perfect round".

will putting three competitors from the same pack side by side in the ROSTER order have any effect on diversity as opposed to putting them at positions 1 , 24, and 49 in the Roster?

GPRM v8.0
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Diversity within each group

Post by Stan Pope »

For the nose counts you describe, the best differences between racer id # to avoid meeting in the race is 11, 12, 13 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24. Given that you have 23 units, 11 through 22 prevents serial assignment of the packs first racer. 24 seems a good increment, but the problem is that you don't have enough racers to make a full 72 racer chart!

1 is a bad choice in that racer n and racer n+2 will meet.

The fairest method is random assignment into the chart. I mean "seriously random", not just somebody sticking arbitrary # on each racer.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

Stan Pope wrote:For the nose counts you describe, the best differences between racer id # to avoid meeting in the race is 11, 12, 13 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24. Given that you have 23 units, 11 through 22 prevents serial assignment of the packs first racer. 24 seems a good increment, but the problem is that you don't have enough racers to make a full 72 racer chart!

1 is a bad choice in that racer n and racer n+2 will meet.

The fairest method is random assignment into the chart. I mean "seriously random", not just somebody sticking arbitrary # on each racer.
I am using the pack number as part of the car number, so I would have 5291, 5292, 5293, 8541, 8542, 8543, etc

If I had a button withn GPRM that would prevent sequential numbers in the same heat, that would do the trick,......
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:I am using the pack number as part of the car number, so I would have 5291, 5292, 5293, 8541, 8542, 8543, etc

If I had a button withn GPRM that would prevent sequential numbers in the same heat, that would do the trick,......
Just turn on the Randomize option in the chart generator. Every time you hit the Generate Chart button, you will get the numbers showing up differently.

I think you are overthinking things. So what if they run against another racer in their pack? Isn't the objective to find the top cars in the district? How is trying to manipulate the matchups (to prevent certain matchups) achieving that end?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.