Power of Words

General race coordinator discussions.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Power of Words

Post by dna1990 »

This may be seen as a little too soft, and I am a fan of scouts learning hard life lessons at things like PWD, but I tend to agree with this one.

Especially during inspection or check-in, watch what your inspectors 'say'. The scout plops their car down, and the inspector says "what is your name", and after the reply the inspector looks at the car and enthusiastically says "wow, this looks like a winner to me...". Hard to type the inflection via the internet, but you can hear it, right?

Sound familiar? Lots of similar encouraging or complimentary phrases fit the same bill.

But look from the scout's viewpoint. A PWD 'official' has just said your car looks like a winner. They may have even heard (or remember) your car is a winner. Us adults, take that as the loose compliment it was meant to be. But the young scout, files that away as truth, because an authority said so.

So when (if) they don't win...there is a sudden conflict in their head and with only a hint from parents and other outside influences, youngsters begin to imitate what they have seen from others - "I had the winning car, someone else must have..." What? Yes, the "C" word. Cheated.

So encourage your inspectors to talk with scouts (and not the parents answering for them from behind by the way), and certainly encourage and compliment the scout and their car....but leave it to phrases like "I really like your car (or color, or whatever)". Or "you should be very proud", or "you must have worked hard on this"...etc. Avoid leading to conclusions of victory.

Just a thought.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Power of Words

Post by Stan Pope »

Well taken.

Would "This car looks really fast!" create the same conflict? I don't thinks so.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

Good point and something for us all to remember. My wife says all those words are really important and that I don't use them enough.

I like to always say....GOOD LUCK RACING TODAY!
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Stan Pope wrote:Well taken.

Would "This car looks really fast!" create the same conflict? I don't thinks so.
I dunno, I think it comes close. I think we grown ups (well you guys, I am not grown up yet) can hear inflection and the delivery of things to hold meaning. Many times, youngsters haven't picked up on that yet and only hear the raw words.

So with the right emphasis on 'fast' and serious demeaner - could be misinterpreted.
With the emphasis on 'looks' and a more jovial mannerism - likely to be taken as an innocent compliment as it was intended.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

"It's not what you say, it's what people hear"
-- Words That Work, Luntz

You're quite right of course. These are little guys we're talking about here. It makes me wonder how many I've confused?

I know if a Stan Pope told me "looks like a winner" at 8 years old, I'd figure myself a shoe-in for the winners cake.

Very good post.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

dna1990 wrote:Especially during inspection or check-in, watch what your inspectors 'say'. The scout plops their car down, and the inspector says "what is your name", and after the reply the inspector looks at the car and enthusiastically says "wow, this looks like a winner to me...". Hard to type the inflection via the internet, but you can hear it, right?
Hello everybody. I believe that maybe the inspector should not be saying things like that. I also think that it is the duty of the parents to take responsibility to prepare their son or daughter for defeat. Before and after inspection of my Son's car I always remind my Son not to get his hope's up to high and there a lot of other cars in the PWD he will be racing. Anything can happen. Ultimately it is up to the parents to prepare his child for disipointment and remind him that it is just fun to run his car. Any how that's my opinion.

John
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

john4840 wrote:I also think that it is the duty of the parents to take responsibility to prepare their son or daughter for defeat.
Excellent point. Odd comments and unintended actions can come at your youngster from all directions, teachers, kids, TV, strangers, store clerks...the first layer should definitely start at home.

Here is an excerpt from the sheet we hand out with kits and rules...any suggestions to make it better? Stronger?

Code: Select all

SPORTSMANSHIP - PWD is a great opportunity to demonstrate good sportsmanship. Remind your scout to congratulate his friends, accept compliments and awards with pride and humility, and to graciously look forward to next time to do better.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

dna1990 wrote:Here is an excerpt from the sheet we hand out with kits and rules...any suggestions to make it better? Stronger?

Code:
SPORTSMANSHIP - PWD is a great opportunity to demonstrate good sportsmanship. Remind your scout to congratulate his friends, accept compliments and awards with pride and humility, and to graciously look forward to next time to do better.
I beleive that it looks good as is. All this is a reminder for the parents. If you are good parent you know what you need to tell your kid.

To be honest with you, I have not seen any of our kids in our pack ever teased another kid, make fun of any other kid for losing, or acuse any other kid of cheating. The only thing I ever seen at our PWD is a bunch of kids having a lot of fun. Our pack is small, about 35 kids and maybe that has a lot to do with it.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

When I gave out Tiger class awards a couple weeks ago, I was moved when the 3rd place winner spontanously hugged the 2nd place winner when he came up on stage. It was a genuine hug too, not a beauty pagent congrats or anything. I was really happy we captured it on video for the Pack's PWD video.